Sunday, October 28, 2018

Coming Up for Air


I did it! I turned in my 8th Zoe Chambers Mystery (titled Fair Game) on time along with my thoughts about the cover art. After being overwhelmed with a back-to-back book release and deadline, the sense of freedom was exhilarating.

Someone recently asked me how I celebrate these things. Let’s see…

I ate chocolate. My husband and I toasted with a glass of mead, homemade by my good friend Tami McClain.

We bought a new car…
 
Hubby's new Crosstrek (which I borrowed for
my road trip)
Okay, that last item had nothing to do with the deadline. Hubby’s old car was nearing 200,000 miles and needed some major repairs. He was long overdue for a new vehicle.

He also let me and my travel buddy, Liz Milliron, take the new Crosstrek on a weekend road trip to Indianapolis for Magna Cum Murder, another nice way to celebrate. I didn’t even pack my laptop, although I did take my Chromebook to check email. It was nice being able to devote all of my convention time to hanging out with readers and making new friends as well as touching base with old friends. No retreating to my room to hammer out a scene or a chapter.
 
Glamming it up with travel buddy Liz Milliron at
the Magna Cum Murder banquet
Free! I’m free!

Since I’ve come up for air, I intend to go on a couple of dates with my husband, maybe catch a movie. I’m working my way through my to-be-read piles (shelves, mountains). And I’ve started my spring cleaning!

Yes, you heard me right. My spring cleaning. I’m well aware that it’s October.

However, I can’t get too used to the concept of having a life away from the fictional world where I spend most of my time. I need to make an outline for the next book. Maybe start playing with some opening lines. Because before too long, Fair Game will come back to me complete with edits and I’ll once again crawl into Book Jail with a deadline to meet.

The freedom of coming up for air is sweet but short-lived.


Do you celebrate your work accomplishments? How?

11 comments:

  1. I try to make sure to celebrate something every day. Even though I’m “retired” I still take vacations where I will not do any author work unless it’s critical (CRITICAL!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to be able to do that someday, Jim. Right now though, even when I'm not dealing with an immediate deadline or am "between books," my characters won't shut up and leave me alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is in permanent catch-up mode. Yesterday we attended a fabulous production of "Guys and Dolls" at UCincinnati-CCM. The dance sequences were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a trip!

    Kicking back with a cup of tea and a totally frivolous book to read is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds lovely, Margaret!

    Liz, it was so much fun! Especially since we didn't get any dents or dings in the new car!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travel is a good way to celebrate. Trying something new. And for me, singing takes me out of my "writing head."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you're enjoying your respite, but I'm equally sure you'll soon be chomping at the bit to get to the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what fun! And the new car is gorgeous - what a great way to celebrate.

    How I celebrate depends on the magnitude of the accomplishment. Completed chapters - a dark chocolate kiss - completed books...a special treat with that has meaning at that moment. Could be a trip, a great dinner out, a movie - you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Warren I WISH I could sing. Alas, no one wants to listen to my sad attempts.

    You're absolutely right, KM. I'm already making notes and starting to plot the next book.

    Kait, we did the dinner and a movie today. Partly to celebrate, partly to reconnect after being holed up for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Annette! The exhilaration of accomplishment is always great. I like to celebrate with friends. Looks like Magna Cum Murder was a great event.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Paula. And it really was fun. You need to attend it some year!

    ReplyDelete