Friday, February 15, 2013

No More of Dad's Short Stories






No More of Dad’s Short Stories

I have shared here some of the short stories my father wrote.
At age 83 while living in a medical care facility, after he had a series of heart attacks
and strokes, my father decided he would write short stories.  Over the next two and a half years wrote stories that he wanted to share.  He was pleased when I put them on this blog.

There won’t be any more stories. My father died on January 31 of this year at age 88. During the time he was dying, he refused pain medication on one day so he could see and talk to family members who flew in to see him one more time.   The next day he died.  I will miss so many things about him.

One thing I will miss is reading my father’s musings about dogs that can tell a republican from a democrat from the way they smell, playing bridge with five aces and the importance of blankets. 

At least I can imagine my father in heaven waiting for The Savior to finish his nap so they can talk about Westerns together and watch squirrels. 

12 comments:

  1. Warren,

    Your father lasted about 4 ½ months longer than my Dad. And from this short perspective after his death, what I miss most are his stories. (Although I wouldn’t mind if he’d come back for a day or two and complete his and Mom’s tax returns.)

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your relationship with your father. He isn't gone. You will bring him with you through time. Will know what he would have said or how he would have reacted. That's the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren, you were blessed, as I was, with a very special father. Your memories of him will always be his lasting gift to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EB He will live on through our family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warren,

    I'm truly sorry for your loss.
    I do think it's wonderful that he left your family his stories. It's a way to remember him and for the younger generation to know him, a kind of immortality if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your Dad, Warren.

    It sounds like he left you a great legacy, not only from his short stories, but also passing on the gift of writing to you.

    Morgan Mandel
    http//www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father and my uncles were great storytellers, but they weren't writers. I regret I didn't bring out my tape recorder the last time they were together--I let a lot of memories and family history slip by. I'm glad you have your father's stories. There couldn't be a better gift or memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences, Warren. I'm sure your father's stories and his memory will be a blessing to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for their kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you've lost him, Warren, but you had such quality time (as they say) with him at the end. That's so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete