Thursday, June 27, 2024

Publicity: What's Worth It? My Top Ten Tips

 

I’ve been reading a lot online lately about publicity. Everyone’s talking about it. What they want to know is simple: what works and what doesn’t? In other words, what’s worth it and what is simply a waste of time and money?

Full disclosure: publicity can be confusing, and I’m no expert. Few of us have the skills of a graphic artist, expertise in marketing strategies, or an unlimited budget. And yet every author, whether traditionally published or self-published, is expected to mount a publicity campaign. That means most of us are playing it by ear—trying anything and everything, without really knowing which of our efforts actually results in more sales. I’ve heard this called the “spaghetti approach” to publicity. Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

The possibilities seem endless. Should a new author have a website, a newsletter, accounts on Facebook, X, and Instagram? Do paid ads work? Or reels? And Pinterest—will creating a board of images related to your book push sales? And what about conferences? For many authors, the cost of flights, hotels, and meals will wipe out any profits they make from book sales. With notable exceptions, most of us aren’t getting rich.

The bottom line for me is exposure. First you have to write a good book. No amount of effort and money will turn a mediocre book into a best-seller. But even a wonderful book isn’t going anywhere unless people know it exists. That’s been my working theory about publicity from Day One. Get my name and my book out there so people know about it.

The hard truth is this takes time.

Here are my top ten recommendations in no particular order:

1. Write the best book you can.

Take time to learn your craft. You will need a professional editor. In my opinion, this is the one place where the old adage about spending money to make money holds true. Good developmental editors aren’t cheap, but they are invaluable.

2. Put up an author website and Facebook page.

Today this is pretty simple, even for non-technical people like me. You can choose a free theme and personalize it. Maybe get a tech-minded kid or friend to help you at first. Start very simple. You can always add.

3. Start a newsletter and make it personal.

At first your subscribers will be your friends and family. That’s fine. But do bring a sign-up sheet to every event you attend and give people a chance to sign up. The most important part is to keep it personal. Instead of “buy my book, buy my book,” tell your followers an interesting story that relates to what you’re writing. Give your readers content that’s worth their time to read. I give away a free, exclusive short story every year.

4. Don’t waste your money on paid schemes.

You will undoubtedly receive all kinds of offers, promising to put your book in every motel room in the country or blast an email to hundreds of thousands of eager readers. In my opinion, most of these are a waste of time. Nothing is that simple. If you find one that works, let me know!

5. Say yes to as many opportunities as you can.

We’ve heard about performers “paying their dues.” The same thing is true for authors. Getting your name and your book noticed does take time and effort. Begin building a fan base and keep at it. Speak at your local library or book club. Join a panel at a local or regional writing conference. Write articles for publications. Just say yes. Know that publicity is work.

6. Develop connections with other authors.

It’s called networking, and it’s definitely worth it. Listening to other ideas spurs creativity. You might find a possible collaborator. You might find a critique group to join or beta readers who will give you much-needed feedback. You might even meet an agent or an acquiring editor. One of the best places to network is a writers’ conference. Go to as many as you can afford, and while there, make the most of your time. Talk to people. Ask questions. If you’re shy, remember that the secret is not to be interesting but to be interested.

7. Join a professional writers’ group.

One of the best things I did was join Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and the Crime Writers Association (UK). That’s where you can connect with other writers, take classes and webinars to help you improve your craft, ask questions, and learn about opportunities such as open submissions. The costs are minimal and the benefits high.

8. Support other authors.

Follow them on Facebook. Feature their latest releases on your own Facebook page and in your newsletter. Attend their events when you can. Read their books and leave a (good) review on Amazon and Goodreads. One piece of advice given to me by my agent: if you can’t leave a five-star review, don’t leave one at all. If you support others, they will support you. Maybe you could team up with another author at an event or trade newsletter shout-outs. Double your efforts.

9. Do the things that come naturally to you.

I like Facebook so that’s where I have my main social media outlet. You might prefer X or Instagram. That’s fine. I also like writing my monthly newsletter, and I have a really high open rate. That means people are actually reading it. Doing something you dislike probably isn’t going to work anyway, so try everything and see what comes naturally.

10. Be patient.

For authors, what has worked for you?

For readers, where do you find new authors?


5 comments:

  1. You have an excellent list, Connie. One thing that has made it easier for me is to always focus on what's in it for readers, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two other thoughts.
    One is that distribution is as important as exposure. No matter how great your novel is, and how many people sing its praises in public, if the acquiring librarian can't find it easily on Ingram or Baker and Taylor, chances are s/he is not going to look further. Same for indie bookstores, although there certainly are exceptions when several people request a title.
    I don't ascribe to the thought that libraries are cheating an author out of purchases because people are reading the book for free. Most of those people would not have paid for the book anyhow. And it's great exposure.
    Second is to consider services like Bookbub and the Fussy Librarian. They are expensive (especially Bookbub) but provide lots of exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pay attention to new releases from publishers I know I like. But I also pay attention to recs from other authors. Those are two big ways I hear about new books. I also am part of enough groups on Facebook that, as others start talking about something, it gets on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not an author, but I am an avid reader. I always look at sites that feature forthcoming books. I have certain authors who I read all the time and will recommend their books to other people.
    I am also on the lookout for new first time authors especially if they are starting a new series or established writers who may be writing something different. I work in a library so I frequently have an opportunity to recommend books to patrons and they appreciate learning about writers they don’t know about.
    I also follow some websites who often feature guest authors who have a new book coming out ( I don’t know how they vet these writers)
    If you follow some of these blogs you may get an idea of how the guests are chosen.
    I don’t pay attention to most of the publicity techniques. A book just has to interest me.
    There are also a number of bookstores who do interviews both in person and virtually. They frequently feature new authors.

    ReplyDelete