Friday, June 7, 2024

The Reviews are In, by Lori Roberts Herbst


When I published my first book, SUITABLE FOR FRAMING, I understood very little about the need to accumulate reviews and ratings. When reviews began appearing on Amazon, it was simply a pleasant experience to see the kind words and stars. I figured they came from supportive family and friends offering encouragement to a novice author they knew and loved.

 

A few weeks later, the book hit two hundred ratings, and I experienced a surge of surprise. I mean, my family isn’t big, and I don’t have that many friends… Then came five hundred, six hundred, seven hundred. As of this writing, 945 wonderful readers have rated SUITABLE FOR FRAMING on Amazon. I am stunned by the number—and oh, so grateful.

 

Not all of them are raving reviews, mind you. I appreciate the ones offering constructive criticism, and I take those to heart. But then there are the outliers I am trying to train myself to ignore or laugh off. For example, one person left a one-star rating along with a review obviously meant for someone else’s book, as it discussed characters and events that didn’t appear in mine. Another person left a two-star review and talked about how much she enjoyed the story until it got to… well, here I’ll leave out the discriminatory and hurtful words aimed at one couple in the book.

 

(Side note: An author I follow on Facebook posted a critical reader review of her book saying something along the lines of, “It’s like she made the whole thing up.” Hmmm….)

 

And, of course, there are always one or two reviews containing spoilers (nearly impossible to get Amazon to remove, so I just have to hope those spoilers don’t…well…spoil the plot for new readers.)

 

Still, I can’t overstate how uplifting it is when readers say a book brought them joy, that they fell in love with a character (whether it’s a two-legged or four-legged one), or that they can’t wait until the next book. Here’s an example of one of my favorite reviews of Callie Cassidy Mystery series (on Amazon):

 

 “Started book 1 with skepticism. Finished book 6 about 3 days later. Terrific characters, great mysteries and not all the bad guys are the guilty. So it takes time to actually figure it out. Awesome! Great characters, believable humans, no perfection royalty among them. Loved every minute spent, salivating for more.”

 

 

From a marketing perspective, I get that numbers matter in terms of algorithms and promotion (though I admit I’ll never totally understand the behind-the-scenes technological workings). But lately I’ve been wondering: how useful are reviews to a potential reader?

 

Personally, I might look at the number of stars a book gets, but I tend not to read actual reviews prior to purchasing a book. Instead, I’m most likely to choose my reading material based on 1) authors whose other works I’ve known and enjoyed, 2) word of mouth, and 3) the back-cover blurb that gives me a peek into the plot. When I do read reviews, it’s only after I’ve finished a book, and then mostly to see how my evaluation compares to others. Bottom line: the content of a book’s reviews doesn’t really matter to me.

 

But I may be atypical…after all, I’ve been labeled as such before. So, I’m curious about how the rest of you experience reviews.

 

As a reader, do you use reviews to determine whether you will buy a book?

As a writer, do you read your book’s reviews?


I’d love to hear your thoughts.

 

 

GRAVEN IMAGES, book 6 in the Callie Cassidy Mystery series, released April 23 and is available on Amazon Kindle, Kindle Unlimited, and paperback.

 

***

 

Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 

22 comments:

  1. To me, part of word of mouth is review. If I see a title a bunch of places and people seem to be enjoying it, I'll start paying more attention. But I rarely go to blogs or Amazon or Goodreads specifically to read reviews. And I saw this as someone who is a reviewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:22 PM

      So good to know, Mark. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. As a reader, I don't read reviews to choose books. I'm more likely to take friend's recommendations, booksellers' recommendations, or I'll snap up a book I see talked about at a convention, on a blog, or at an author appearance.

    As a writer, I rarely look at reviews. I tend to follow a few of them during the initial release, searching for quotes I can pull and use in promotional. But as soon as the one-star reviews start coming in, nope! I'm done. I always say, I can have 100 5-star reviews, but that one 1-star will curl me into a fetal position, weeping for the next week. (Only a slight exaggeration).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:23 PM

      Isn't that the truth, Annette? It's human nature, I think, to fixate on the negative...

      Delete
  3. If I am wondering about a book as a reader, I look at the average review and number of reviews. However, most books I choose are because of someone's recommendation (fiction) or I think it meets my need (non-fiction), in which case blurbs and reviews can be useful in making choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:24 PM

      Good point in the differentiation between fiction and non-fiction. I'm the same way.

      Delete
  4. I actually read the one star reviews when I'm considering buying a book. So often I realize what the reader is objecting to is not a factor in whether I would read that book. "Profane language." (Like everybody should talk as if they were in church?) "Immoral characters." (Well, it's a crime novel. What did you expect?) "Some evil characters got away with it." (That's life.) And sometimes the reviewer goes into a personal-sounding rant, which I disregard entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:25 PM

      I figure most discerning readers are the same way about the one-star reviews! When I read them (which is rare), I usually find myself rolling my eyes at the review writer...

      Delete
  5. I ignore reviews though I do rely on personal recommendations for books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, congratulations on the reviews. It’s not easy to accumulate numbers like that. I’d say you’re doing something outstanding! Of course, I’ve read your books, and I think you are.

    As a reader, I don’t look at reviews. I count the blurb and back cover as my influencers. As a writer, yes, I do read them. Not daily, but often. I have only one that sticks in my craw. It’s a one star with no explanation. I don’t know if it was a bot, a spammer, someone who hated the book. No idea. It’s an outlier, but I have considered asking Amazon to take it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:27 PM

      Those low ratings without explanation are really hard to chew on, I agree. And you just never know what the problem was. I got a low review once because the book itself wasn't produced well. Not much I could do about that one...

      Delete
  7. Ah, reviews! Love the great ones my books receive, and puzzle over certain comments that I feel reveal more about the reader than what I've written. When I choose a book to read, I glance at a few reviews but depend mostly on recommendations from friends and word of mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts Herbst

      Delete
    2. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:28 PM

      Oops. Sorry about the above blooper. Don't leave me a bad review! But I agree with you, Marilyn, especially "puzzle over certain comments that I feel reveal more about the reader than what I've written..."

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Lori, on so many reviews! That's quite a milestone, especially since such a small percentage of readers leave a review. Just think how many people have read it!

    I tend to hear of books from friends and other writers, but I do look at reviews for those books out of curiosity sometimes. Often it seems that the negative reviews have much more to do with the reader than the writing.

    As for reviews of my book, they used to really affect me--especially the more negative ones. My book has only been out just over a month, but I'm learning to enjoy it when the book resonates with readers and let go of the negative reviews. There are a lot of books I absolutely love that have received some terrible reviews, so I try to remember that not all books are for all readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:29 PM

      It's almost a therapy session, isn't it? Learning acceptance and all that. Very healthy for us authors!

      Delete
  9. I might look at a review after I have read a book, but not before.
    My attraction to a book is whether I like the protagonist and the plot/subject or if I have read other books by the author.
    I am always interested in reading a new author or a new series by one I already like. I may even give an author a chance if I haven’t liked them before. I have found writers who I haven’t cared for before but I like their new series.
    There are certain plots I will never read. I don’t like violence, serial killers and stupid main characters who don’t learn from their previous experiences and are always putting themselves into dangerous situations.
    I won’t automatically read a book if I like the title or cover but they might make me look inside at the story line.
    I also prefer lighter stories, especially if they have a sense of humor.
    If I want darker ones I can watch the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts Herbst

      Delete
    2. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:30 PM

      "If I want darker ones, I can watch the news." Ha! Made me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  10. Debra H. GoldsteinJune 7, 2024 at 4:59 PM

    I pick up books four ways: a) the cover attracts me in a bookstore; b) the book is from an established author that I enjoy; c) I read a review in a popular magazine or newspaper and the story interests me; d) friends are raving about the book. I generally don't look at Amazon or Goodreads reviews until I'm leaving one - and then I'm curious if most of the other readers agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 7, 2024 at 9:30 PM

      I'm exactly the same, Debra!

      Delete