Tuesday, June 18, 2024

The Benefit of a Second View

 by Paula Gail Benson

I enjoyed watching The Devil Wears Prada when it was released in 2006. I even used the title for a Halloween party ensemble: my suit from work with a devil horn headband and a small, extremely low priced ($25) Prada bag (likely a knock off) I found at a consignment store. The Prada emblem was so small I had to explain my costume to everyone all evening.


A week ago, I had the opportunity to view the movie again. I was impressed by how quickly the story opened at the precise moment the protagonist (Andy) begins her journey. She’s just graduated from college and needs a job. No paper has offered her employment as a writer, so she becomes an intern for Runway, a sleek, high-brow fashion magazine—a subject about which she knows little.


I admired the pacing as the story unfolded: Andy’s path is strewn with pitfalls. She doesn’t understand the industry or the relevance of certain decisions. She is belittled and insulted by her demanding boss and insufferable co-worker. She finds a mentor, of sorts, in the magazine’s art director, who helps her find appropriate clothes.


Then, rather than letting all the negativity defeat her, Andy does what any admirable underdog heroine would do: she becomes determined to play the game as well or better than her opponents think her capable. She will win, despite the odds, and appear capable and carefree in getting there.


A great deal of the charm of the movie is watching Andy navigate the obstacles as she becomes more fashion savvy. Of course, her new knowledge and single-mindedness to prove herself as worthy to the magazine’s fiendish editor ends up ostracizing her from her boyfriend and social circle. Ultimately, as she sees her mentor’s loyalty to the editor repaid by deception and betrayal, she realizes that she needs to reevaluate her priorities.


In the end, she leaves Runwayreconciles with her boyfriend, and has a successful interview for a new job. Her future employer receives a recommendation from Runway’s editor describing Andy as “her biggest disappointment” but saying the employer would be an idiot not to hire Andy.


The story still captivates me, not only for its message, but also its structure. I want to read Lauren Weisberger’s 2003 debut novel upon which it was based to see how closely the book was followed and what changes were made in the screenplay.


I also want to watch the movie again, to learn more about how it crafted and sustained the seemingly effortless pace. I hope that’s a skill I can apply to my own work.


Has the second viewing of a movie or reading of a book ever made you want to understand more about how it was structured? Has studying a favorite movie or book led you to greater insight about writing?

9 comments:

  1. As a teacher I had in high school said, "The problem with analyzing literature--any literature, including audio and video--is that you will lose the sense of wonder and enchantment that it is designed to foster." Despite that, there are times when I have reread or rewatched a piece to see if I could figure out why I found it so engrossing. Examples are Weldon Hill's "Rafe," everything by Margaret Yorke, and the TV series "The Fugative."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KM, it's a little like knowing who the man behind the curtain is. It's more fun to NOT know, but more educational when we do.

      Delete
  2. First, I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've never seen The Devil Wears Prada as much as I love Meryl Streep. But I have frequently gone back through a book I especially loved to determine what techniques were used to make me feel the way I did. In fact, some of the books on my shelves had little sticky flags decorating them to mark specific scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra H. GoldsteinJune 18, 2024 at 10:07 AM

    If a book or movie really engages me,I suspend belief and watch for entertainment. Later, I may look at construction. The movie that I had to see again quickly to see how I missed the obvious was “The Sixth Sense.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having worked in an ER, I got that right away. I watched The Thomas Crown Affair (remake) with a bunch of cops - five minutes into the movie; they had it. Me, I needed to watch until the end. Sometimes, it's what you bring to the party :)

      Delete
  4. I have a reference shelf of fiction that I consult when I'm struggling with deep POV or choreographing an action scene.

    Here's the promised handbag story: I bought my middle school daughter a stack of jeans at a teen consignment shop and threw in a white handbag printed with cherries. Something fun that no one else would own. Fast forward to the day I was in the orthodontist pickup line at school. Another mother admired the bag, assured me it was genuine, and delivered a five-minute narrative on what to look for in determining genuine v. knock off. Our genuine Kate Spade bag is on a closet shelf upstairs, an icon to the art of shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, that's quite a story. I had a friend who bought a beaded bag at a thrift store. She took it to an Antiques Roadshow cattle call. Turned out to be an original Tiffany bag. Who knew.

      Delete
  5. I have never seen The Devil Wore Prada. Definitely checking the streaming services now. As for your question. Yes. Most recently, my binge of Blue Bloods was taken to study multiple POVs. Not sure it helped, but it served as a reminder that every character’s story needs to be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these comments! Kathleen, I agree completely with you and Annette (the man behind the curtain--exactly), but I do have to respect the skill that creates an enjoyable story.

    Please, Kait and Annette, take the time to watch The Devil Wears Prada. I know you will enjoy it.

    Debra, I need to watch The Sixth Sense.

    Margaret, a good purse story is always welcome. Yours is terrific!

    ReplyDelete