Monday, June 17, 2024

I'm Not a Magician!

I’m Not a Magician! by Debra H. Goldstein



Recently, I shared a phone conversation with a fellow author who was upset because a reader had left a bad one-star review on Goodreads. The review faulted her cover, the beginning of the story, and the fact that there wasn’t a murder in the first chapter. There was a death in the second chapter, but this reader closed the book before reaching that chapter. My friend acknowledged that the reader’s failure to go beyond the first chapter, but willingness to leave a negative review, had my friend dismayed at having failed her reader and having her star count impacted. 

A few hours after the phone call, I went to get a haircut. While there, I noticed a sign posted in the next hairdresser’s station. It read: “I’m a Beautician, not a Magician.” It made me chuckle.

Later, I thought about that sign in reference to being an author. It might be rewritten as “I’m a Writer, not a Magician.” As a writer, I weave words together to create a plot and characters that I hope will engage readers. I try to write the most cohesive and enjoyable book that I can. My goal is for readers to have fun while escaping into a new world from the one they normally live in. Based upon reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, and in periodicals, I usually succeed; however, there are exceptions. When the few negative reviews are posted, I can be lost in the weeds for days and weeks like my friend, or I can remember, “I’m a Writer, not a Magician.” 

Authors do you agree? Readers, do you cut us slack or do we need to be magicians?


12 comments:

  1. Honestly, I wish there was some sort of "rule" that readers can't post reviews if they haven't read the entire book. I know that's not going to happen, but sheesh.

    I don't want to be a magician. We can't please everyone. Different readers have different expectations and if we change our story to satisfy one, we'll only alienate another.

    And for goodness sake, writers need to stop reading reviews! We can have 1,000 5-star reviews (I wish) but that one 1-star will curl us into the fetal position, weeping for a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinJune 17, 2024 at 12:42 PM

      Exactly! But I think, when I read your books, you are something of a magician :).

      Delete
  2. Tastes differ. I often start to read something & decide it's not "my cup of tea." Usually I stop reading, figuring I'm never going to get to all the books I want to read and there's no sense wasting time on ones I'm not enjoying. I realize that this does not mean that the book won't appeal to others, so I don't comment negatively. However, I don't worry about it if a person who doesn't like my work does comment. I write for my own satisfaction, not to please everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinJune 17, 2024 at 12:44 PM

      You have a great attitude. I don't think all writers can divorce themselves from negative comments. I'm also just getting to the point in life where I occasionally stop reading - I'm always hoping the book will improve.

      Delete
  3. Definitely agree. It's impossible to write to everyone's expectations, and I'm not sure I'd want to read a book that attempted to.

    If I'm not enjoying a book, I set it aside and figure it's not for me. I would never leave a poor review based on my taste. And I might add, if you are going to leave a one-star review, please leave words to support your viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might leave a review focusing on the appealing main character and not mention that the plot is derivative of a popular TV series (and that I'm not the only one to recognize this).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinJune 17, 2024 at 12:45 PM

      Your comment made me chuckle because I just saw something Hank posted of two women talking, seeing a classic book, and they noted something like, "Oh, look, they made a book out of the movie."

      Delete
  5. Lori Roberts HerbstJune 17, 2024 at 12:06 PM

    Great post, Debra, and a well-timed reminder that we can't please everyone - nor should we try to do so. I recently got a review that criticizes the very element that a number of other readers lauded. Proof that readers bring their own perspectives to each book they read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra H. GoldsteinJune 17, 2024 at 12:46 PM

    Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an author friend who assiduously avoids reading Amazon reviews. Her rationale is that casual readers are not authorities on what makes a good book. I don't agree. I care about what readers think, and their feedback is important for my professional growth. But when it comes to unfounded negative reviews, I think she has a point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some times I wonder about people who give bad reviews when they haven't finished the book. I try not to let it upset me. Instead I focus on all the 5 start reviews. I received a review from someone who ripped my book, but then they gave me 4 starts—go figure.

    ReplyDelete