Sunday, June 4, 2023

Figs! Recipe Request by Molly MacRae


Fresh figs (photo courtesy of Pixabay)

With a deadline looming, my post last month was short. The deadline looms ever closer so my post this month is even shorter. I’m sprinting towards June 15th – the date Come Shell or High Water, book 1 in my new Haunted Shell Shop mystery series is due on the editor’s desk. By golly, I’m going to make that deadline come shell or high water. More about the series next month but here’s a teaser: Figs are big on Ocracoke Island where the series takes place.

Here’s the request and reward: Do you have a favorite fig recipe you’re willing to share? I’m looking for three to use in the book. If I’m able to use your recipe in the book, I’ll mention you in the acknowledgments and in a post with the recipe on Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen. I’ll also name a character after you in book 2.

Questions you might ask:

Q: Is this a contest?  
A: Yes. I won’t be able to use all the recipes sent.

Q: May I send the recipe I’ve been using from a cookbook or an online source?
A: Yes, but please tell me the name of the cookbook or website, so that I’m aware. I’ll adapt the recipe to make it my own – and will still give you credit.

Q:What will you do if you end up with too many wonderful recipes?
A: Eat too much while testing them. I hope to put three recipes in each of the books, though, so if I end up with more than the three I can use in Come Shell or High Water, then I’ll save three for book 2 and three for book 3.   

Put your recipe in a comment below or contact me at MMWoolly@gmail.com.

Thank you! 

Fig pie (photo courtesy of Pixabay)

 

 

 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with your receipe, Molly.

    My receipe is to eat them raw.

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figs on Ocracoke...who knew? I'll read your book and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum – wish I had a recipe to share! Good luck with the deadline. I’m sure you’ll make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I'm no help at all. My first thought was "fig newtons?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen recipes for homemade fig newtons, Shari. I'll let you know if I try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent recipe, Jim. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kait and Margaret. Deadline time is knuckle biting time. I'd rather bite figs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea, Molly. I hope you get submissions. I have never used figs in a recipe. I loved the canned ones though. Perhaps you can substitute figs for dates in a recipe and try that. Experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea, Molly! My fave is to take a small wheel of brie or camenbert and slather it with fig jam (easily found in my grocery store). Bake in an ovenproof baking and serving dish for about 10 minutes or until nice and melty! Serve it with slices of baquette or your choice of crackers. I suppose you could even use celery. It's a two-ingredient recipe that is always ready quickly when you need it (like a good alibi!).

    Hugs. Mary Jane Maffini aka Victoria Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Jane! Thank you! I love the simplicity of this recipe. I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will you share some of the recipes with us? Or will be have to wait until the book comes out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Italian Fig Cookies are a favorite of mine from St. Jospeh's Altars in March. https://www.emerils.com/129568/italian-fig-cookies

    I also have a recipe for Fig and Papaya Dessert Pizza from Thursday Night Pizza by Fr. Dominic Garramone. It's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fig Jam from Food & Wine is amazing. I like to top bruschetta with fig jam, a little blue cheese, and prosciutto. Yummy!
    https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fig-jam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love figs and make them a lot. My favorite is to take a brick of cream cheese and a couple teaspoons of sugar whipped till light and creamy. I then add dried tart cherries, chopped walnuts or pecans, lemon zest and lemon juice (or a liqueur) stirred into cream cheese mixture. Cut an X in the bottom of a dozen ripe figs place cream cheese mixture into a piping bag or a baggie with corner clipped. Fill figs with cheese mixture in the X cut on each bottom chill until about 10 minutes of serving. If you are making for a special occasion, you can dip just the very bottom in chocolate or make a balsamic vinegar and sugar drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It also makes a great addition to any picnic since they can be eaten out of hand or charcuterie board, simply quarter them as they complement all the meats, cheeses and usual fair offered.

    ReplyDelete