Sunday, June 18, 2023

Cheers to Dads ~ Favorite Fictional Fathers by Sarah E. Burr



Happy Father’s Day, everyone!

As the Writers Who Kill author who shares a post on the third Sunday of the month, it appears I have become the official Father’s Day commemorator. While my post last year honored my dad and the reading time we shared, this year, I wanted to celebrate some of my favorite fathers throughout literature and film. Of course, my first draft of this post was much longer. There are many extraordinary fictional father figures, so this list highlights those who’ve impacted me the most.

 

Memorable Fictional Fathers

 

Mr. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice: As one of my favorite novels, it should come as no surprise that I love every Jane Austen character in their own way. Yet, Mr. Bennett is a quiet hero, especially to his daughters. While often accused of not keeping his house in order, Mr. Bennett simply wants his daughters to live their lives as they see fit. He encourages them to make their own decisions and to find happiness for themselves, which every father should do.

 

Henry Spencer from Psych: Mystery lovers, if you haven’t discovered Psych, I highly recommend this T.V. show. You will enjoy eight seasons of fun, wacky mysteries and witness the development of an iconic father-son relationship. Henry Spencer, a former cop, puts a lot of pressure on his wayward son, Shawn, but over the series, you see how deeply they care for one another and how they learn to overcome their differences.

 

Arthur Weasley from the Harry Potter books: Loving, gracious, and kind, Arthur Weasley welcomed Harry Potter into his home, along with all the troubles that followed the young wizard. Always one to stick up for what’s right, not what is easy, Arthur is one of the best role models in the Harry Potter series. He also teaches us to never lose our zest for learning.

 

Bob Nicolson from the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series: Bob might be a controversial pick for this list because he wasn’t always the most understanding father to a teenage daughter, but goodness, in every scene he appeared in, he made me laugh. When I read this series as a tween, I would laugh so hard that I often cried. Of course, when I read these hilarious excerpts to my parents, they looked at me like I’d sprung another head, which only made me laugh more.

 

The Dads of Modern Family: Having recently re-watched the entire series for a third—maybe fourth—time, the lovable antics of Phil, Jay, Mitch, and Cam have always filled me with warmth and joy. While each dad has his own quirks and hangups, one thing is incredibly clear: they all love their family.

 

Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird: Is there a more iconic fictional father out there? Brave, dignified, and kind, Atticus Finch’s determination to support victims of prejudice and social outcasts has long made him a champion of justice and of being an ally. He’s been recognized by presidents, historians, and legal experts as one of the greatest heroes in American fiction and continues to inspire today.

 

Carson Drew from The Nancy Drew Mysteries: Mr. Drew has long been one of my favorite fictional dads. His support and encouragement made Nancy who she was. He always told her to trust herself and follow her instincts; he never tried to push his own views on her. He trusted her and went to bat for her, time and time again. The only thing he ever cautioned was for her to be careful. Perhaps I have a soft spot for him because my father read the Nancy Drew Mysteries to me. Hearing Carson come alive through my dad has always been a special memory.

 

Who are your favorite fictional fathers?

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to nominate Peter Belden in the Trixie Belden series. He worked hard at the bank to provide for a wife and four kids. We don't see much of him in the books, but he was always doing what he could to support his family when he was around. And the Belden house had "stretchy walls," they were always welcoming their kids friends and their families to their home, sometimes on a moment's notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cork O'Connor in William Kent Krueger's books. Memories of his own father and raising his kids. Complex and nuanced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super choices! There are some I haven’t heard of, but those that I am familiar with are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I use a fictional father figure? In the controversial novel (even its status as novel vs. memoir is disputed) "The Education of Little Tree," Asa Earl Carter, writing as Forrest Carter, an orphaned boy's Cherokee "Granpa" and Cherokee "Granma" call him "Little Tree" and teach him about nature, farming, whiskey making, mountain life, society, love, and spirit by a combination of gentle guidance and encouragement of independent experience.

    After the book was published, Carter was exposed as a KKK activist and speech writer for George Wallace.

    The question of whether the book was the ruminations of a reformed White supremacist, or intended to be a critical exposure of what he considered to be an inferior value system which totally missed the mark, is unclear at this point.

    Carter himself insisted that he had Cherokee ancestry, and that, while fictionalized, the book reflected his true interaction with his own grandfather.

    ReplyDelete