Monday, June 19, 2023

Landscaped Writing by Debra H. Goldstein

 

Landscaped Writing by Debra H. Goldstein

After almost three years of grousing because I didn’t like the landscaping our house came with, hastened by most of the plants being killed by the winter freeze we had (and yes, it occasionally gets cold in Alabama), I finally had the yard re-done. The central front bed concept was preserved, but the few green bushes still alive were moved to the side of the house, the pine straw was replaced with bark, and three different types of plants – boxwoods, azaleas, and tea olives - were added. Plants from a side bed were moved to encircle the one tree that adorns the yard. I was told to run the sprinklers daily for a week and then cut back to only three days. My watering plan was revamped once we realized the ten-day-forecast predicted eighty-eight-degree days with no rain in sight.

My writing is much like my landscaping. The seed of an idea is there, so I go with it, despite not liking it. Next, I either throw up my hands in despair or acknowledge reality when a beta reader kindly says, “this piece doesn’t work.”  At that point, convinced I will never write again, I take a hard look to see if anything can be salvaged. Usually, the work in progress has a few good elements, but needs a major revision. That’s when I throw away what’s dead and move the remaining words and paragraphs into something that might work. But that’s not the end. The piece needs gentle watering until I know it can withstand the rigors of submission.

As of today, the plants are still alive. My writing projects are beyond life support, but are still in need of fertilization and watering. How about your yard and works in progress?


5 comments:

  1. Debra,
    Glad to hear the landscaping is alive and well. As for the writing: I have confidence that it too shall thrive after your time wandering through the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comparison, Debra! Hope all your projects—landscaping and writing—keep working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here looking at the wave petunias and million bells on my patio (I live in an apartment) and thoroughly enjoying them. The complex where I live has an entire landscaping crew & keeps most of the grounds looking wonderful. (there is also a large herd of cattle on campus.)

    Since I have only "easy" gardening, I find I have to work much harder at my writing than my "landscaping." But I appreciate the work that goes into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great metaphor, Debra!

    My gardens are in disarray, but my work in progress is coming along nicely! Off to pull more weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cincinnati experienced 48 hours of minus 10 temperatures the week before Christmas. The leaves on the holly bushes turned brown...dropped, and by spring, the bushes grew new leaves. The crepe myrtle bushes were naked twigs...which are now leafing out. My beloved hydrangeas were also naked twigs...and are leafing out as well. I don't care about blossoms, though I miss them.

    The same is true of my writing: fresh growth on bare twigs.

    ReplyDelete