Thursday, June 15, 2023

Civility Is Still In Fashion by Marilyn Levinson

Becoming a published mystery author requires many strengths and acquired skills—good writing habits, tenacity, a tough skin, a lively imagination, and competent writing techniques to name a few. I believe that kindness and consideration enhance your chance of becoming a successful author once your first book is accepted. Here are a few observations I've made regarding the above.

1. Join groups and attend conferences.                                                                                               Writing is a lonely business, which is why we authors seek camaraderie. We join organizations, communicate via social media, attend conferences. If you're first diving into this, I suggest you do it gradually to avoid being overwhelmed. Join Sisters in Crime. The Guppies. Attend a conference or two. Volunteer to help out. Mystery authors are a friendly lot. We're happy to share information about every topic imaginable.

2. Civility rules.                                                                                                                                  Always be respectful when communicating with editors and agents. Yes, I know that nowadays agents may not always respond to your query, but when one does and praises your writing, a short email thanking him or her is appreciated. When writing under contract, do your best to hand in your manuscript in time. If you have a complaint regarding your editor or agent, handle it with grace. 

And how shall I put this: don't be difficult. You won't always agree with your editor or copy editor's edits, but that's to be expected. If you want to keep something in the text of your manuscript, add a comment explaining why and perhaps that will settle the matter. If you find you're always at odds with your editor or agent, perhaps you aren't a good fit. It's difficult to make a change, but you should be working with people you're comfortable with.

Engage with your fellow authors and readers on Facebook and other sites. I love when readers tell me they enjoy reading my books, and I'm always sure to tell them so. By all means, avoid taking part in flaming. Some current topics are explosive, with supporters at both ends of the spectrum. There's no need to write a diatribe against someone's comment you didn't like. You won't change his or her opinion.

3. Say yes when asked, unless you don't have the time.                                                                            As we become more successful and better known, our obligations to our profession increase. You'll be asked to write articles, to blurb books, to partake in giveaway parties on Facebook. I enjoy doing all of the above, though I'm careful to only write blurbs and reviews for books that I know ahead of time are competently written. I felt bad when I didn't have the time to write a blurb for someone I'm friendly with, just as I was disappointed but understood when a friend of mine didn't have the time to write a blurb for one of my books. It's an honor to be asked to do these things. Besides, it establishes you as a bona fide, well-respected author in the genre.

4. Be kind to unpublished writers.                                                                                                   Remember, you once struggled to get an agent or a contract or to complete a first novel. I enjoy getting to know new mystery writers, sharing some of the many aspects of writing and publishing I've dealt with over the years. You may have more writing experience but they may be better at mastering the latest in visuals or social media and can teach you a thing or two. 

5. Don't hesitate to tell a fellow author how much you've enjoyed reading his or her novel or short story. If inspired, write a positive review. All of us love praise and the satisfaction that our stories bring pleasure to readers. And by doing so, you've made a new friend in the writing community.


11 comments:

  1. The old adage applies: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    So true! We all respond to a smile in a favorable way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't be difficult" is my favorite! So true. Treat others how you'd want to be treated (and I doubt anyone wants to be treated unkindly).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so thankful to have met you, Marilyn! And many other amazing mystery writers who have helped me figure out my path! I can’t wait to join the ranks with a published book! Thank you, always, for your kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desiree,
    It's been my pleasure. I figure that eventually you'll be a big wheel in cozy publishing and I'll be happy to know you.:) BTW, we have to make another zoom date.



    Margaret,
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Don't be difficult" - that applies to more than just writing! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, Shari. Being difficult turns people off.

    ReplyDelete