Sunday, June 25, 2023

Refilling the Creative Well by Annette Dashofy

I’ve been trying to locate who first spoke about refilling our creative wells. I’ve heard references to it from numerous sources and have talked frequently about it myself. I guess the origin doesn’t matter. We all know it’s something we should do. 

According to my friends and family, lately, I’ve been mostly an all-work-no-play kind of gal. This may be due to having two contracts with two different publishers for two different series. In my “spare time,” I serve as president of my local Sisters in Crime chapter as well as being on the board of Pennwriters. 

I love what I do. Writing is fun (most of the time), and I enjoy being able to help other writers along the way. 

But every so often, my brain shuts down. The next scene just isn’t coming together. I forget how to create words, sentences, chapters. 

That’s when I know I’ve gone to the creative well one too many times. 

I was feeling drained a couple of weeks ago, and when my husband asked me if I had to work that Sunday, I thought about it…and said, “No.” 

Okay, confession time. I did a little work in the morning. Mostly jotting notes about upcoming scenes. My version of plotting. But it was okay, because he had some puttering in his workshop that he wanted to do too. Then I turned off my computer, we grabbed a light early lunch, and we headed to Oglebay Park. 

Oglebay has been one of my favorite places to relax and have a little fun since I first discovered it back in the 70s. There’s a mansion, shops, paddleboats, and fishing. There’s a golf course, if you’re so inclined. (I’m not.) You can rent a cabin or stay in the Lodge. And there’s the Good Zoo. I could spend an entire week there and never get bored. 

But I only needed one afternoon, a few inexpensive hours to enjoy a sunny Sunday. We chose to do nothing but wander the paved walking trails, avoiding the crowds. And the ticks.   

We saw lots of wildlife, most of it scurrying too fast to be captured by my camera. Squirrels and chipmunks played peekaboo with me around trees. But not all of the woodland creatures were so uncooperative.


I’ve encountered deer every time I’ve gone to Oglebay. They’re used to the public, so they don’t get too concerned. Same with the waterfowl. Certain times of the year, I have to fight my way through the Canada geese. (Who am I kidding? Those things scare the bejeezus out of me! They get the right-of-way where I’m concerned.)
These ducks were much less aggressive than those geese.

 And some of the trails pass through gorgeous gardens.

After an hour or so, we headed to town for dinner before coming home, tired but happy and with my creative well refilled. The next morning the words, sentences, and scenes flowed. 

As a confirmed all-work-no-play gal, I have to admit, getting away from the computer and the WIP was just what the doctor ordered. 

What about you? Where’s your favorite spot to escape and refill your well? 

15 comments:

  1. Anywhere outside in natural surroundings is all I need to let the work-word escape. I long ago learned that I am much more productive (and creative) when I give myself permission to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about being outside in nature, Jim. When we were trying to figure out what we wanted to do with our day off, I said I didn't care as long as it involved getting outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two favorite refreshers are 1) visiting a palm tree arboretum in St. Pete overlooking Tampa Bay with a good book (Annette, I'm reading HELPLESS, so good!) and 2) rounding up my friends and playing a few hours of shuffleboard. Focusing solely on the game relaxes my mind like meditation. Then I return to my manuscript ready to edit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Martha!

    Somewhere, there's a photo of a 20-year-old me playing shuffleboard. Yes, it's been that long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visit my kids and grandkids. Total writing brain reset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed a reset on Friday and spent the day going to different locations in the area to photograph the daylilies and coneflowers. The daylilies are late to bloom (or deer have devoured the buds), but it was a successful venture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, I find photography to be a great escape too. It uses different creative muscles than writing does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great day and a wonderful park! I have learned that I also need to take time to refill the well. In my case, a hike in the woods will do it, but I’ve got a research trip planned for the near future that will be part work, part play. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kait, I LOVE those kind of research trips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love being in nature, too—when it's not 110 degrees! Contemplating a move to Colorado so I can have even more "refreshes." Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Lori. I'm not much for heat (or humidity!) either. Thankfully, most of our days have been in the 70s so far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WISE decision. In my teaching years, I reserved Sunday afternoons for time with Mom, and it was restorative, and I could face another week of six classes a day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. The retirement community in which I live is over 1400 acres, and has miles of walking paths, many through the woods. I frequently see deer. Lately, some raucous crows have been providing noisy entertainment. If I am truly ambitious, I walk down past the orchards to the pastures, where the cows in the beef herd which supplies much of our meat are tending their calves.

    I come back refreshed and ready to do something, but I have to admit it's not always writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, that sounds lovely!

    KM, how nice! I wish I had something like that closer to home.

    ReplyDelete