Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Why I can’t be an outliner

By James M. Jackson


I would save soooo much time if I could successfully outline my novels before I wrote them.

Not for the reasons those who push outlining as the best way to write promote, which include:

·         Not writing until your story structure works means

o   No writing scenes that you later take out

o   No plot holes that you have to later fill

o   No extra characters to eliminate or combine

o   No worries about sagging middles

·         No worrying about blank page syndrome—you know what comes next

·         No worry about writer’s block because you’re only brainstorming until you finish the outline

·         And on and on the benefits go.

I have no doubt those benefits are true and real—but only if you have a brain that can complete the outline. One write-up of the outlining process that uses six steps sounds perfect.[i]

  1.     Write down your one-line idea for the novel
  2.       Brainstorm the What, Where, Why, Who, and When of the story
  3.       Use a book outline framework or template to highlight the key points using your favorite novel structure (Three acts/Hero’s Journey/ etc.)
  4.       Create your plot to fit the outline
  5.       Add characters
  6.       Plug in scenes

And this, they say, is all great fun.

The sad truth about the way my mind works:

Myers-Briggs personality types are determined by where on the spectrum we fit regarding four trait pairs. [ Introverted (I) – Extroverted (E); Sensing (S) – Intuiting (N); Thinking (T) – Feeling (F); and Perceiving (P) – Judging(J) ] I have tested as an INTP, and for this discussion, the components that affect my ability to outline are the N and P.

Considering the J—P spectrum gives a first large hint of my problem.

At a simple level Js prefer a more structured lifestyle, while Ps prefer a more flexible and adaptable lifestyle. And when it comes to making decisions, Js prefer decisions having been made. Ps want to keep sucking in more information and defer decisions as long as possible (and in extremes longer than they should).

An outline is perfect for a J – they can make decisions early and outlining their novel provides obvious structure. Ps don’t want to commit (until they have to) and want the flexibility to change plans if something better turns up.

Outliners point out that their outline is only a guide; they can change it as they go along. That’s true, but to a strong P, that outline feels like a cage. That means the P must overcome innate resistance to benefit from outlining. If that were the only issue, I’d probably be an excellent outliner. For example, in my working days, I was an efficient coder and also terrific at understanding accounting systems—both structured systems.

The S—N spectrum completes the ugly picture

One way of looking at the extremes of this spectrum is that Ss tend to start with the whole and break it down into pieces. They are fact-based and make up about 75% of the population. Ns are more conceptualizers, noting patterns and making connections between disparate ideas.

Starting with the one-line idea for the novel is perfect for an S.

I don’t realize what my novel is really about until I have written the first draft. At that point, I recognize what my unconscious was working on throughout the drafting process. A theme emerges from the steaming pile of a crappy first draft, image patterns become apparent, character motivations become clear.

I suppose if you want to belabor a point, I drafted a poorly written 90,000-word outline that I have to read through to know what to fix in draft 2.

My secret reason why outlining could save me oodles of time should now be clear: I’d give up and not write the novel. No complete first draft, no revisions, no polishing, no book. Lots of free time, though.

Chime in with your comments and let us know how you approach massive projects, like writing a book.


[i] https://selfpublishing.com/book-outline/

* * * * *

Jim Jackson is a founding member of Writers Who Kill. As James M. Jackson, he authors the Seamus McCree series. Full of mystery and suspense, these domestic thrillers explore financial crimes, family relationships, and what happens when they mix. August 2022 saw publication of the 7th novel in the series, Granite Oath.

Jim splits his time between the wilds of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and the city life in Madison, WI. You can find more information about Jim and his books at https://jamesmjackson.com or contact him at jmj@jamesmjackson.com.

 

7 comments:

  1. Yesterday I finished pantsing the first draft of a short story. It's truly awful. I know it will be better once I up the tension. I could have done tons of free-writing to nail the plot, but instead, wandered in the weeds at the side of the road.

    For books, I start with a crime, and plot tentpoles at the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 points. I write toward those points, usually as far as the headlights illuminate, in fifty-page chunks.

    Everybody has their own system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret -- it sounds like you have a system that works well for you. And that's key!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid my characters take over. I usually have a beginning and an end in mind, although those usually change (especially since I have a tremendous urge to do a background dump in the beginning, which does ground the entire thing, but can be pretty off-putting.)

    After that, the characters take over & dictate to me what happens. I often surprise myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I WISH I could outline. It would make life so much easier! But I write in scenes and then pray that by some magic/mumbo jumbo I don't understand my subconscious will connect those dots. Theme? I never know until the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KM -- whose story do those characters think it is? I know how that goes.

    Shari -- it's nice to have a fellow traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't NOT outline. I'm way too much of a planner in all areas of my life...for good and for bad. But I do navigate a hybrid process. I know the beginning and the end and the major plot points. Then I outline about a quarter of the book at a time. It took my a few books to settle on that way of doing it, and it may change again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, it's great you know what works for you -- and are still open to the possibility of improvements in the process.

    ReplyDelete