Sunday, October 16, 2022

A Beginners Guide to True Crime Podcasts by Sarah E. Burr

You’d think after celebrating fifteen release weeks that I’d be used to the roller coaster of emotions an author experiences during this time. Yet, with Too Much to Candle hitting bookshelves, my nerves have been as twisted as ever. Over the years, I’ve tried different ways to keep the release-week anxiety at bay, to various degrees of success. I’ve tried: 

Free writing. It’s always fun and relaxing to explore a new concept or world. Although, I will admit my brain wanders too much during these times, and the stuff I write during release week is often mush.

Reading. Again, reading can be very relaxing, but I often focus on things I woulda/coulda/shoulda done when reading the works of other fabulous authors instead of just enjoying the book.

Vacation mode. With this, I try to put work on the back burner for the most part. Other than scheduled appearances, I go shopping, take a trip, and do my best to have downtime away from writing altogether. Yeah, it doesn’t work. I spend all this “vacation time” thinking about my book! 

I clearly needed a better outlet to make it through Too Much to Candle’s release week unscathed. So, what I’m trying this time (and with great success, I might add) is losing myself in podcasts.

I have fallen in love with podcasts over the past year and find that they are a great mental escape. Adding to the fact that I listen to true crime podcasts, this new hobby also helps me brainstorm and plot out my next project. It’s a great distraction from the nerves bubbling inside, but it also informs and provides me with valuable insight into the criminal justice system. I’ve learned so many things about law enforcement and prosecutorial procedure from these podcasts. A lot of this knowledge has found its way into my writing. Learning while being entertained…What more could you ask for?

For my post this week, I wanted to share some of my favorite podcasts. If you’re looking at getting into podcasts, these shows are great places to start! 

Crime Junkie This is where it all began for me. Listening to Ashley Flowers dissect both open and closed cases hooked me from episode one. Each week, Ashley presents a crime to listeners, laying out all the facts and adding her enlightening commentary. The episodes range from 30-60 minutes and are very easy to follow. Ashley’s storytelling style is hypnotic, making Crime Junkie one of my favorite true crime podcasts.

 

CounterClock CounterClock is different from most shows I listen to because it is a crime told throughout a season rather than all in one episode. Investigative journalist Delia D’Ambra dives into an open case each season, laying out all the facts police have gathered and then digging up more information on her own. Delia is a great host and a dedicated researcher. The intel she uncovers will often leave you with your jaw on the floor. During my recent trip to England, I binged Seasons 1-4, and I cannot wait for Delia’s next featured case.

 

Anatomy of Murder If I had to pick one true crime podcast to listen to for the rest of my life, Anatomy of Murder would be it. Hosted by Scott Weinberger (a former Deputy Sheriff and investigative journalist) and Anna-Sigga Nicolazzi (a former NYC homicide prosecutor), this dynamic duo takes true-crime storytelling to the next level. Each week, they are joined by a representative from their featured case—a relative of the victim, the lead detective, the prosecutor, etc.—and they dissect the crime from multiple angles. With their expertise and professional backgrounds, Scott and Anna-Sigga inform listeners about the criminal justice system and celebrate the victims whose lives were taken too soon. Every episode brings tears to my eyes. It’s a stellar production, one I look forward to listening to each week.


There are many more honorable mentions I could add to this post (Heist with Michael Caine, The Deck, Serial), but instead of reading my thoughts, I highly encourage you to explore the world of true crime podcasts for yourselves. Most are free to listen through your favorite audio streaming platform.

I also would love to find my next great listen. Do you have a podcast you recommend?

7 comments:

  1. Great suggestions, Sarah. I need to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a useful guide! Thanks from all of us who are interested in learning more about podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't be disappointed! These shows will have you on the edge of your seat (and maybe give you some great writing ideas).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never listened to a podcast. That’s gonna change. These sound fascinating. Now, to figure out how to do it 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added a couple of these to my library! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this info. I hadn't heard of these before. I'll definitely listen to them now.

    ReplyDelete