Thursday, October 6, 2022

I Used to Hate Inventing Titles, but Now I Hate Viewpoints by Susan Van Kirk

 Ten years ago, I began writing the first novel in my first mystery series. The book was Three May Keep a Secret, and the series was the Endurance Mysteries. At the time, I’d never written a mystery, but I had an amazing editor, Lourdes Venard, who gave me great advice. When I asked her about breaking the rules of writing cozy mysteries, she suggested I not do it in a big way, but a small way might be all right. So, I did. Mind you, this was my first mystery-writing experience, and I’m not sure I knew what I was doing.


Three May Keep a Secret
introduced my amateur sleuth, Grace Kimball, who had just retired from teaching at Endurance High School. What would she do in retirement? That was her central plot question as she contemplated her future life outside the classroom. In no time at all, she found herself in the middle of a murder, and she took over a job that put her in a precarious position. Along the way, the story picked up a detective, TJ Sweeney, who had been Grace’s former student and now good friend. Then I added a mysterious character, Jeff Maitlin, who moved to town to be the editor of the local newspaper. So now I had a trio of main characters who would continue throughout the series.

How, you might ask, did I break the rules—in a small way?

Most cozy mysteries have a protagonist who is the point-of-view (POV) character. The story is seen through her eyes. My book had a prologue, epilogue, and thirty chapters. While Grace is the POV character in most of the chapters, I added four chapters told through the eyes of TJ Sweeney, my detective. I had to. In those four chapters, Grace wasn’t present, and TJ had to respond to a murder, deliberate about it, and manage a situation where she had to try to save her friend, Grace. I also added two chapters told by a character named Ronda, who was an integral part of a subplot that twisted around the main plot. It all worked out in the end, but not exactly by following the one-POV rule. It was early days, and I was feeling my way around being a mystery writer.

The second book in the series, Marry in Haste, kept Grace as the POV character. And she was the

only POV character. By now, I’d figured out how to untangle a plot around multiple characters and still use only Grace’s viewpoint. However, this book had a second plot told through the diary of a woman who lived a hundred years earlier. Grace read her words, as did the reader, and Grace—and the reader—reacted. TJ and Jeff were still part of this story, but Grace was the POV character without any help from other viewpoints.



The third and fourth books in the series, Death Takes No Bribes and The Witch’s Child, were told only through Grace’s eyes. They concerned the murder of a high school principal, and the return of a woman for burial who caused a horrible stir in the town years earlier when she was convicted of a double murder. Witchcraft was involved. Grace was privy to everything that happened in these stories, so the reader lived both stories through her eyes. Ah, so nice to know I have everything tied together following the rules for a cozy POV.

Not quite so fast.


Spoiler Alert: At the end of The Witch’s Child, Jeff Maitlin proposes to Grace, and she says, “yes.” Now I have a conundrum. If they marry—and they plan to—should I now split the POV between two characters since they’ll be married, living together, and sharing all the murder plots?

And this is where I must take some time to sit back and think about the pros and cons of the decisions I must make about my POV characters. Can I have Grace and Jeff running a business together as a married couple but only tell a story from Grace’s point of view? I think not. On the other hand, if I break the next book into two viewpoints—Grace and Jeff—I’m going to have to decide how I’ll do that. New experience.

So, I think I will take the coward’s way out. The next book, which I’ll write this coming winter, will be mainly Grace’s point of view, and it will involve all the planning for the wedding and the decisions about running a bed-and-breakfast together. However, to slowly move my readers into a double-viewpoint story, I’ll have a few chapters told by Jeff Maitlin. If they both survive this plot and manage to marry, ha ha, then the following book will have two viewpoints. Of course, a wedding will allow for all kinds of possibilities when it comes to the bride and groom both showing up there in one piece. After all, it is a murder mystery.

As readers, do you prefer a mystery with one viewpoint, or can it have more?

14 comments:

  1. I'm generally fine with single or multiple points of view. However, when an author gives a character only one chapter from their POV, I often feel cheated. I think it's because the author uses that chapter to try to drum up suspense, usually to repair/cover a sagging middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to say--it depends.

    I usually write using only one POV--it seems more "honest" to me.

    But I thoroughly enjoy any number of books with multiple points of view. If the author is skilled and careful, either way works for me as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t mind multiple POVs in mysteries, but it does depend on the story and they must be necessary to the telling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm delighted the series will go on. I had thought you ended it. Good news, no matter what PO you end up using.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jim. I don't anticipate only one chapter, but I always worry about the middle. Kathleen, I'll keep this in mind. Kait, I agree. So I'm going to move into two POVs slowly. And Judy, thanks. We have a mutual admiration society going on with your Irene books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read single and multi-POV mysteries, and I enjoy all of them! Do what's true for the story, Susan.

    I must say, though, that I do tend to stick to one perspective when writing, and I'm in awe of books that can pull off going into the minds of multiple characters while keeping the reader connection and suspense going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think whatever you decide will be fine.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, your title made me laugh! Too true!
    I don't have a preference. To paraphrase the great Louis Armstrong, I just like good books.
    Jim makes a good point about a one chapter, super brief peek into a character's mind (usually the bad guy) I'm in awe of writers who can pull off multiple points of view and voice throughout a book - the Thursday Murder Club is a superb example of this high wire act done well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read a two point of view story at first I found it confusing but then I saw that each chapter had marked who's point of view it was. I had to reread some of the beginning when I noticed that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can probably do your POVs any way you want,, so long as you do a good job at it. It's a challenge. I read a draft by a writer who had multiple POVs, but she did each of them in first person. Reading it was a real challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you, Jennifer. In fact, when I switched series I also switched POV. I was writing third person with the Endurance books and now I'm writing first person with the art center mysteries. It takes some shifting of the levers in the brain, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shari, I agree about the Thursday Murder Club. I was in awe of the POV changes in those plots. And I have always had trouble with titles, but having a 3-book contract cured me since I had to have all three titles right away. Geesh. I have enough trouble with one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deborah, I agree. With my first mystery, I always put the name of either Grace at the top of the chapter or Ronda or TJ. It made more sense to me to let the reader know who was talking next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my gosh, Grace, I can't imagine. When I did Marry in Haste and went back and forth from the present to the past, I laid out a long sheet of butcher block paper to figure out when to go back and forth, how to transition, and what to say to make sure the reader was with the right character. It was a challenge. I think I am a little better at that now since I've done it a few times. But still, every book I write teaches me something.

    ReplyDelete