Thursday, October 20, 2022

Starting a Novel by Marilyn Levinson

Last week I started writing a new novel. Something to celebrate but not to get all bent out of shape about, having written more than twenty books before. But that's exactly what happened when I started to plot the eighth book in my Haunted Library series. I got stymied. And nervous. And wondering if I could write a rough draft. I knew the two story lines I wanted to use, had known it for months. But seeing them through and making the necessary connections somehow seemed impossible this time.

Why? I wondered. Was it because it was the last book in the series? The one that had to deliver a rousing conclusion that brought out the best in my characters and ended the series in a memorable way? Recently, the sixth book had been published and some readers had told me it was the best one yet. There's nothing like having to match or even top yourself.

I love the two story lines I planned to follow as guides for this new novel. They're quite different from each other and full of possibilities. I'm not someone who can sit down quietly and plot out my next book. Ideas comes to me at various times—when I'm in the shower, taking a walk, drifting off to sleep. I decided to be practical this time, and so I asked my two writing friends with whom I check in each evening to become my sounding boards via Zoom. "Write out what you have so far and send it to us before," Peg said. And that's what I did.

To my surprise, I managed to write out a rough draft of an outline and sent it off to Peg and Kaye. To my amazement, they found it perfectly fine. They raised a few issues; we discussed a few points and I came up with a brilliant ending. Well, brilliant in my eyes because it works and it's different.

Once I had my friends' blessing, I began Chapter One. The opening scene came to me right away, probably because starting a novel is something I've done many times. Somehow the mechanics of doing this gets into your brain the way your body remembers an aerobic workout routine.

Do any of you ever have trouble plotting your next novel? If so, what steps do you take to get the job done? 


10 comments:

  1. Having learned the hard way that I am truly a pantser, that plotting out a novel is counterproductive, I start with an idea and let it go from there. It's very inefficient, I wish it on no one, but it's what works for me.

    I'm sure your eighth in the series will be superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if I do plot, the characters take over and insist on things going their way, not necessarily mine. I do go into a novel with general ideas; I often write the first and last chapters when I get started, but with the full knowledge that things are going to change. I hope for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jim. I'm relieved now that I've worked out my basic story lines. I've left plenty of room for pantser elements. I could never be a real pantser like you, but I've gotten more so with each book that I write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen, So true that our characters have minds of their own. I could never write my last chapter so early because I never know where the final scene will end up taking place. And I've changed the killer a few times. I'm sure you've had many surprises as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fabulous way to plot! Try though I might to fit my square peg into the round hole of plotting, I have finally faced that fact that it doesn't work for me. I have a general idea of where I'm going, what my plot points are, and then I let the characters take it away. I use Scrivener for writing software. As soon as I complete a chapter, I open an index card for the next and bullet point the highlights for the next chapter. it keeps me on track - sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some wonderful sounding boards, Marilyn! I think you know your characters so well by now that what they will do in any situation (the plot) will be so organic that the story will flow. I'm sure it will be terrific!
    That's why it's hard to start a new series - figuring out the people and the story at the same time is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kait,
    We all have our own ways of plotting. And then there's the mysterious ways of the brain, something we really can't fathom. I think we've train our brains to come up with new ideas as we move along in our stories. Perhaps it's like a muscle—the more it's exercised, the more ideas it comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shari,
    Coming up with new situations for my characters, ones they haven't encountered before, is a challenge. I'm constantly doing research for the tiniest detail.

    I'm looking forward to creating new characters that are quite different from the ones I've been writing about in eight books. I have a few of them already in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great piece, Marilyn. I know that case of nerves well. Gah! And yet, somehow, the writing magic happens again. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Molly!! You're so right on both counts—the nerves and the writing magic.

    ReplyDelete