Monday, March 21, 2022

Killer Thoughts by Debra H. Goldstein

Have you ever wondered what the authors behind Writers Who Kill really kill?

 

I wasn’t an original member of the blog, so I can’t address who came up with the title or if it simply referred to authors in the mystery genre, but I can tell you some of the things I’ve killed or thought about killing. Here are a few of mine:

 

1. Characters in my books and stories. That’s obvious for a writer who specializes in crime fiction.

2.  The weatherman. He said it was going to be nice and based upon his word I had my car washed and hair done --- both of which got drenched when it poured.

3.  My husband. There are times he leaves a trail of crumbs between the kitchen and the den, asks me something inane, or does something that sends me through the roof – at least one short story (Bucket List Dreams in Murder By the Glass and one novel, Should Have Played Poker, had characters mentioning ways to kill a husband (don’t worry, I also have short stories that address the killing of wives!).

4.  Repairmen. Those who promise to come within a four-hour window and don’t. Or, when they do show on time, they need to order a part (remember that new oven I set on fire earlier this year? Well, the broiler igniter stopped working. It took almost two weeks to get the part.)

5.  My darlings. Relax, I don’t mean animals or children (the spouse stays). My darlings are words I’ve written in a novel or a story that need to be deleted to improve the piece. It’s hard to say good-bye to them.

 

Come to think about it, I bet I can safely say that every member of the Writers Who Kill blog has probably experienced having to kill some of their darlings. What about you? Have you ever experienced a moment you want to kill someone or something?

 

 

8 comments:

  1. The person driving 40 mph in a 55mph zone in perfect weather because they are talking on their phone.

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every appliance dealer in the tri-state area (Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky) who refused to order me a replacement wall oven and microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I frequently think of those who have gotten on my last nerve when I'm killing off a character in one of my books. It leaves me feeling smug, even though the real person never knows they are now dead to me. I like to say murder (fictional of course) is therapeutic! Mwahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL – of course, that’s why I do it in fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I’m retired from teaching and not dealing with parents of students, my killer thoughts are much calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I'm passive aggressive or plain lazy. I've rarely wanted to kill someone, but fairly often I wish people would drop dead. Sometimes "drop dead" becomes a refrain in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't one of the original bloggers on Writers Who Kill, but I think it referred to all the fact that most of them were writing "murder" stories at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People who dump trash or write graffiti. They drive me to want to commit murder.

    ReplyDelete