Tuesday, March 8, 2022

A Different Approach: Fan Fiction by KM Rockwood

Do you ever get the temptation to experiment with your writing? To try something new?

My writing can never keep up with the ideas floating around in my mind. Whenever I finish a project, I always wonder what should I tackle next?

I keep running notes for myself, especially in the form of opening pages for a new story, and often with the ending ones, too. I usually have a pretty good idea how the tale begins and finishes. The middle, of course, is where the story really exists, and requires a lot of effort and self-discipline.

When I do tackle one of those projects, the final result can contain surprising changes from the story I thought I was going to write.

Of course, this method of keeping story ideas leads to a confusing array of brief files on my computer. At times I don’t even remember what’s in there. I can be checking through my saved “treasures” and find something I’d completely forgotten, only to have the newly-resurrected characters insist that their time had come and I must work on that story.

I like to respond to themed submission calls for short stories. That provides a structure which makes me focus. And short stories are such fun, both to read and to write.

For one of my most recent projects, I stepped off my usual beaten path.

One submission call I recently saw asked for fan fiction, which was something that had never especially appealed to me. The characters are set. They belong to another writer, and I didn’t see how I could write someone else’s character, much less improve on the existing body of work.

This call, however, was for stories for an anthology to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Kolchak: The Night Stalker releases. There were both movies and a one-year TV series. (This does date me, doesn’t it?)

When my soon-to-be husband and I were first “going out,” we actually stayed in for most dates. I had two little girls who spent workdays in child care. While I was confident that the arrangements worked well for them—my older daughter tells me she can’t even imagine “being a kid stuck home all day with just your mother”—I didn’t like to go out and leave them with a babysitter additional times. Even if money to pay a babysitter hadn’t been an issue.

On the weekends, we’d get the kids to bed, open a bottle of wine, and see what was on TV. Not the most thrilling of dates, maybe. It worked for us. I haven’t watched much television before or after that period of my life, but for a while there, it was a major activity.

One of our favorite shows was The Night Stalker. It did provide some deliciously funky shivers, and I have very fond memories of it.

The idea of writing a story that took Carl Kolchak and extended his adventures fascinated me. And to my delight, when I began contemplating it, Carl himself came alive in my mind and started weaving a story.

I sat down and let Carl dictate what to write. I marveled at his voice, loved every minute of it, and submitted the result to the anthology.

Will it be selected? I have no idea. I’ve not done anything like this before, so I really don’t have a feel for whether it’s any good or not.

I’m not familiar with the press or the editor. I did get an acknowledgment of the submission, so I hope I will hear back on whether the story is accepted.

That doesn’t really matter much to me. Usually if a story isn’t picked up by the intended target, I file it away and keep an eye out for another possible home for it.

But in this case, of course, the characters are not mine. They are copyright protected. So if the story isn’t selected, I can’t try to place it elsewhere.

When the anthology project reaches fruition, I look forward to reading it, whether it includes my submission or not. I’d love to see my story in print, of course, but I’ve had the intriguing sensation of having Carl Kolchak move into my head for a while and guide my writing. That’s an experience for which I will be eternally grateful.

Now, what should I tackle next? 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun, KM. Fingers crossed they choose your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m always impressed by writers who try new things. Good luck with your submission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post, Kathleen. It’s wonderful when writing flows like that. I envy your swirling ideas for stories. With a given idea I can write, but it’s coming up with those ideas that I find hard. I guess I need to ask myself some “what if” questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Carl Kochak and I hope your story gets picked, because I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this, KM! I remember being terrified - in the best way! - by The Nightstalker. Fingers crossed that you get picked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous experience, Kathleen! Good luck with the story and keep us up to date on the result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun, Kathleen! Let us know what happens with the anthology. Then we can read the story and find out what happens with Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks.

    It was fun, Jim.

    Susan, it's encouraging me to try a few new things. And since writing is a major part of my life, that's where some of the experimentation is to be.

    Grace, I find submission calls can both provide an inspiration and enable me to focus. My ideas wander off down myriad paths without some sort of discipline.

    Chris, I hope it gets picked, too. I love to share my work.

    Shari, it was a good sort of terror--safe. Terror because we could let ourselves believe in the story, but safe because we knew it was on TV & could pull ourselves out of it.

    Kait, I'll let everyone know about the story's fate.

    Molly, I think we all know what happens, Carl escapes the danger, the creature question is answered to his satisfaction, but Tony doesn't let the story see light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I REALLY hope you get your story selected, as much so that I can read it as for you to see your story in print. I remember watching The Night Stalker. I was young so maybe I'm remembering repeats or it just made that much of an impression on me. This is exciting. Be sure to let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Korina. I will let everyone know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping they choose your story - knowing it is of the high quality at which you write, I am sure it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Debra!

    ReplyDelete