Thursday, March 3, 2022

Through Ten-Year-Old Eyes by Susan Van Kirk

 

When I was eleven or twelve, I read a series of books by the French author, Jules Verne [1828-1905]—Journey to the Centre of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and Around the World in Eighty Days. Verne was considered the writer who built the foundations of science fiction by combining science and adventure.

 

As an adult, I’ve never considered myself a science fiction reader, and why I would read these books and enjoy them at that early age seems strange. Until now. While cleaning closets, I came across the journal I wrote in hardly legible cursive back when I was ten years old. The topic of that journal was an amazing vacation to the East Coast.

 

The world of 1956 was far different than the world now. It’s important to know, too, that my father managed the drive-in theater my great uncle built, and he loved movies and magnificent old movie theaters. Our trip occurred in November between my father’s two seasonal jobs—managing the drive-in theater and tax accounting. That meant missing school, so my older brother and I took our homework with us. We grew up in the town of Galesburg, Illinois, and we hadn’t seen the rest of the world. That was about to change.

 


Glancing through my journal is an education in misspelling: Olny, the Libirty Tunel, trolling cars, Naraggra falls, President Isonhower, toum of the unknown sourger, riffell bulits, and Davey Crottets hatet. (I must remember to stop complaining about my grandchildren’s spelling or hide this journal forever.)

 

As an adult looking back, I’m dumbfounded by all the places we saw. Stopping in Pittsburgh first since one of my father’s WWII army friends lived there, we next crossed into Canada to see Niagara Falls, and then drove on to New York City. We took a subway and an escalator, two modes of transportation I’d never seen or used. Our adventure took us to the top of the Empire State Building, the window at Dave Garroway’s “Today” show, and the Arthur Godfrey and Gary Moore Shows. I learned what a teleprompter was. My ten-year-old self always wondered how those television people memorized all those lines.

 

We went to the Rockefeller Center and the United Nations and took the NBC tour. Then it was off to Washington, DC, and the Smithsonian, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the Lincoln and Washington Monuments. We also went to the FBI where they showed us how they took fingerprints and shot guns. [Little did I know this would come in handy as a future mystery writer.] The trip ended with Washington’s home and then Gettysburg. At that time they had only an electronic board to show visitors how that three-day battle occurred…very crude by today’s productions.

 

I laugh at the items that caught my eye as a ten-year-old. Our New York City hotel didn’t have a 13th


floor because it was unlucky; a man guarded the gate at the end of the driveway at President Eisenhower’s home; and we ate in a crazy place called an automat in New York City. The tollway we took to the East Coast was part of a huge building project after WWII named after Eisenhower. How amazing that it took only one man at the gate of Eisenhower’s farmhouse to guard the place.

 

So back to science fiction. While we were in New York City, we saw a new movie downtown at the Rivoli Theater, a bold experiment in film-making that had debuted the month before, October 17, 1956. Of course my father knew about it. The film grossed $33 million, ran 102 weeks, and was nominated for eight Academy Awards. It used stereophonic sound distributed in a new format. Todd-AO used thirty frames a second and was incompatible with the old 35-mm standard of twenty-four frames per second. It cost $6 million for a producer named Mike Todd to make.

 

But what I remembered the most was sitting in that huge theater and seeing an amazingly wide curved screen. Yes, curved. A tall curtain covered the gigantic screen, opening after the musical overture finished. I sat enchanted for 179 minutes.

 

The name of the movie was Around the World in Eighty Days.

 

As I watched the new PBS version of that film over the last few weeks, I marveled at how they  updated the story. While the two versions were vastly different, I found myself remembering that trip so long ago and the wonder of that movie in the elegant, masterpiece of a theater. I must have gone home and read those Verne books cover-to-cover after seeing that film. Today, reading that journal of a naïve, misspelling ten-year-old reminded me of my love of books and films to take us out of our humdrum lives to magical places. That was a gift my parents gave me long, long ago.

 

Do you have a memory that explains why you love books and/or film?

15 comments:

  1. We have similar trip memories. I was in Gettysburg shortly after the Cyclorama Painting reopened for viewing. My parents were kind enough to let me run Picket's charge, dropping me off at the Confederate lines on Seminary Ridge and picking me up (tired but thrilled) at the "High water mark of the Confederacy" on Cemetery Ridge.

    These days my parents would probably be arrested for allowing me such freedom without supervision.

    Which didn't answer your question, but allowed me a fond ramble down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love traveling with ten-year-old Susan - and your saddle shoes! Something like this would make an interesting element to one of your stories. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, I can just imagine you doing that. I remember we drove through the battlefield and used our car radio to listen to the information about the battles. I can still remember the description of Picket's charge, and when the smoke cleared they couldn't even find a button from Picket's uniform. That was one of those shocking details a ten-year-old mind would take in a remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Molly. Only you would pick up on the saddle shoes. I must have left my poodle skirt at home on that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your travel adventures and journals! The Bureau of P&E and FBI weren't on the sightseeing list on our epic HS senior year trip to DC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the photo of your journal! You had good handwriting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great journey!

    I'm afraid most of my childhood memories of trips are fighting in the overcrowded back seat with my brothers & being left in the car because I couldn't be counted on to "behave."

    My poor parents! They continued to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great memories! Interesting what impressed us and what stands out. When we went to the World's Fair, I still remember the GE exhibit, which I saw again much later, when by that time much of what they predicted now existed and not having worn a watch, but always asking the time during the trip, my parents let me carry my father's traveling fold up clock in my jacket pocket (so I could check that without nagging him). When he died and I found it among his things, I took it as it brings back more than one memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing the trip through your eyes! My most vivid travel memory is seeing the hidden staircase at the house of the seven gables in Salem, MA - I was probably about 8. How that fired my imagination and set me off on a reading spree of books like The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Delightful memory! (And I also like the saddle shoes!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect story! I was lucky enough to grow up in the shadow of NYC, but what I remember best from my childhood is a trip we took when I was four turning five to visit relatives in Florida. I wish I had a journal from those days. It was a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you hit the high spots, Margaret. My little journal says the Bureau of Engraving and Printing made 43 million dollars a day. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Connie. It looks like such a little kid's writing now.

    Kathleen, my brother and I got into lots of trouble fighting in the back seat. You know that look when your dad turns around and says, "This stops now." And it did. I think we drew a chalk line down the middle of the seat and had to each stay on our own side.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely memory to be able to keep that clock. I'm always amazed at how I thought that trip went. Then when I looked at my journal it was wildly different. Our memories sure have funny omissions and additions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the House of the Seven Gables, but I saw it as an adult. I can see why that hidden staircase would intrigue you at age 8. I remember they told us that the windows and doors were in even numbers like 2 or 4 because that is the way they built back then. It was proper fashion. Loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so right, Kait. And then you ended up living there for awhile as an adult.

    ReplyDelete