Thursday, March 17, 2022

Author Takeovers by Marilyn Levinson

We authors know the importance of getting the word out about our latest book. About all our books, in fact. We've become savvy at writing blogs, having a presence in social media, participating in Zoom panels. We create newsletters, appear at book fairs and conferences, bookstores and any venue that will host us. We create visuals, set up contests, give away swag. Promotion can be exhausting. Despite all the promoting we do, it often leaves us wondering if we've promoted enough.

More than one publicity maven advises us to promote via a method that we enjoy. Following that recommendation, I'm happy to share one of my favorite means of promotion: Author Takeovers. I don't know if I'll ever try TikTok, or really master Instagram. But I do like Facebook, and, as a cozy author, I appreciate and often visit cozy Facebook groups. In these groups, people chat about cozy mysteries. Authors have an opportunity to post announcements about their latest book, book sales and events. Most cozy groups offer Author Takeovers, when an author actually takes over the group for an hour or two . . . or more. 

I love Author Takeovers because it gives me the opportunity to be in immediate communication with readers and my fellow cozy authors who stop by. After telling them a bit about myself and my books, I have the opportunity to ask whatever questions I'd like participants to comment on. The topics vary. Opinions about cozy mysteries, pets, vacations and food are just a few of the subjects we discuss. 

I'm always amazed to find myself in touch with people from all over the U. S. and Canada at the same time! I hear from readers who love my books and from people who never read anything I've written as we exchange thoughts and ideas, preferences and dislikes. 

I always offer a book or two as giveaways, and keep in touch with many readers who have received one of my books. This is a fun and easy way to relate to readers. And it's free! One of my favorites!


12 comments:

  1. I think one key to a successful author takeover is to match genre and sub-genre to attract new folks to learn about (and fingers-crossed buy) our book. which means it's key to link up with people who write stories similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not done an author takeover, but they sound like so much fun and I have enjoyed the ones I've attended. May have to go on the professional bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    It's essential that you do an Author Takeover for a group that matches the books you write. And you should become a member of the group and interact with others before you ask to do an Author Takeover.

    Kait,
    They are fun, from both sides. You would enjoy doing one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Author take-overs do sound like fun, and I bet the enthusiasm created in contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen,
    They are fun, and people continue to answer the various questions I've posted into the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this information, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post. I've done author takeovers, and they are a lot of fun. Readers are more likely to buy books from authors they have developed a relationship with through events like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace,
    I think this is one of the best ways for readers to get to know us other than in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your blog post on our in common Facebook group Cozy Mystery Village. I've only done one here to date but am looking forward to another in a week. I was so delighted to "chat" with readers and other authors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes!! Wasn't it fun? Other authors stop by, and so do admins from other Facebook cozy groups.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy them, too. As you noted, you interact rather than doing a hard sell. It gives you a chance to get to know people.

    ReplyDelete