Sunday, March 27, 2022

While I Wait by Annette Dashofy

I’ve been solidly in the midst of WAITING for a while now. Waiting for the revised contract from a new publisher for a new series. Waiting (like a kid at Christmas!) for the cover art for my upcoming release. Waiting for inspiration on a topic for this blog. 


To be honest, I have several topics, but none that I’m at liberty to share just yet. The details about that new series. The reveal of that cover. Another potentially REALLY EXCITING event. 

Yes, I hate vaguebooking as much as the next person. What I hate more is announcing news that isn’t yet set in stone only to later have to say “Oops. Sorry. That fell through and isn’t going to happen.” Bad enough I have to live with the disappointment. 

So with a list of blog topics circling my mind like a fleet of airplanes circling the airfield, waiting for clearance to land, I find myself sitting in my office, twiddling my thumbs. 

And working on less exciting but necessary tasks. My marketing plan for example. 

Marketing plans. The bane of the existence of most authors. I know of a few who enjoy that side of publishing. I, for one, love meeting my readers and am especially eager to get back to in-person events this year. It’s the business side that makes me pull my hair out. How much am I going to budget for advertising and giveaways? Where will I get the best bang for my meager buck? How many bookmarks should I order? How many hours should I waste invest in creating graphics for social media? Do bookstore events translate to book sales? How about libraries and book clubs? 

This is my twelfth release, so it’s not my first rodeo. I have an idea of what works. Or do I? 

I’ve queried my readers about how they found me and, in general, where they find out about new books and authors. Clearly, I did something right with them. Yay! The question now becomes, how do I place my new book so that new readers discover it? Goodness knows there are multitudes of readers out there who have never heard of me or of Zoe Chambers. Where do they hang out? 

You were expecting me to have an answer? If I did, I wouldn’t be puzzling over my marketing plan. I’d simply pull out the one from previous books. Copy and paste. Wash, rinse, repeat. But no, I’m looking to branch out. 

It’s terrifying. 

Dear readers: Where do you find out about new-to-you authors? Where do you shop for new books? 

My dear fellow authors: What marketing tricks have worked well for you?

17 comments:

  1. I find new authors through blogs! Yes, they do work. As for marketing tricks. I was hoping YOU had some answers 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kait, maybe I'll share some of mine in a future post.

    And thanks for the answer. I've always wondered if those guest blog posts were worth the time. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find new books mostly through friend or librarian recommendation.

    I am about to try a new approach for finding new readers. I'll blog about the results when I have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a marketing PLAN? I just fumble as I go, every single time.

    I do tend to accept virtual presentation invitations. Last week I spoke to 130 people, most of whom I don't know. Yes, they are mostly writers, but writers are readers, too. And I've done library gigs in Virginia and Alabama.

    When you find the secret, please let me know. And all best on the exciting not-quite-announceable bits of news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find new authors through blog posts, bookstore newsletters, and recommendations from friends. Sometimes I just go to Barnes and Noble (the only bookstore in my town), and browse through the Mystery section. I’m looking forward to hearing your news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to hearing about your new approach and how it worked out, Jim.

    Edith, there's a lot of fumbling too but my publisher requested a marketing plan, so I was forced to sit down and really think about it. And YES to virtual events. I'm never sure how effective they are but there are no travel and lodging expenses, so they're inexpensive ways to reach people we can't afford to visit in person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know, Chris. Thanks! As for the news, one piece of it has been made official within the last 36 hours, so I should be able to talk about it SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find new authors through Facebook groups, library recommendations (if you read so and so, you'll like this author) and bookstores.
    I hate to say this, but I'm much relieved to read that experienced published authors go through the waiting game. I thought it was just us new authors who went through it!
    All the best with the new venture, hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose, nope, it's all of us. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often find new books from reading blog posts, even this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know, Susan. Yes, lots of good books get attention here at Writers Who Kill!

    ReplyDelete
  12. New readers find me through social media and Author Takeovers. I love virtual events because they're easy on wear and tear of the body.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agree about the wear-and-tear, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm excited for all your upcoming good news, Annette! I hope everything works out splendidly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dare I say it, Annette? All good things come to those who wait. Only good things will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to find out all you are waiting for as I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Korina, Judy, and Debra, thank you. It's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete