Sunday, September 20, 2020

How Much Do You Make? By Judy Penz Sheluk


I’ll admit it. I’m superstitious, even when my rational self tells me I’m being ridiculous. I come by it honestly; I grew up in a house where you wished on stars, knocked on wood, and tossed salt over your left shoulder if you accidentally spilled some. Those deep-seated superstitions run just as deeply when it comes to my current works-in-progress: if I share too much, I’m sure to jinx it.

 

And so, when my friend’s husband—let’s call him Joe—asked me “how the book writing was going,” I uttered my usual vague response. “Good thanks. Working on a something now. Long way to go to The End.”

 

But here’s the thing. Turns out, Joe wasn’t actually interested in how the book writing was going. I know that because his next question was whether writing books was “worthwhile financially.” What he was really asking me was how much I made.

 

I didn’t ask Joe what he earned, or if he asked his dentist, lawyer or next-door-neighbor how much money they made, though I was sorely tempted. Instead I explained that for every $1 a paperback book sells for, the bookseller (Amazon, B&N etc.) will take 40% or more off the top, the publisher will take anywhere from 50 to 70% of the net royalty, an agent, should the author have one, another percentage of that, and the author... “Well, you get the idea,” I tell him with a forced smile. “Unless an author is selling a million copies, they’re not buying a chateau in France.”

 

The next time I meet Joe, he doesn’t ask how the book writing is going. This time his approach is a bit less direct. “So, have you sold a million copies yet?” he asks.

 

“No,” I tell him, “Not yet.”

 

“100,000?”

 

I shake my head.

 

“Not even with the short story collections and five novels?” He’s incredulous at this point.

 

“I’m afraid not.”

 

“So, this is a hobby for you, then,” he says, and it’s about then that I decide he’s going to be the victim in my next book. After all, there are some perks to writing murder mysteries. Even ones that don’t sell a million copies.

 

Authors and readers: have you been asked how much you earn? If so, what was your response?





 

11 comments:

  1. Can't say as I have ever been asked.

    Most of the people who are interested in my writing know enough about the field to realize that only a select few are able to support themselves entirely with their writing, and that they work very, very hard at it, including emerging themselves in endless public relation and promotions.

    And even fewer people get "rich" from their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you're not making any money off your writing, why bother?"

    I'm asked from time to time and always smile. "It's who I am."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. Definitely kill him off in your next book!

    I used to smile and say, "We'll, I haven't quit the day job, yet." Now that I don't have a day job, I'll have to come up with something different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A neighbor from a culture that thinks it’s absolutely fine to ask you how much you make or how much you paid for something would occasionally ask me questions related to both. As to how much I made, my general response was, “Never enough.”

    Now when someone asks me about how profitable writing mysteries is, I say that when I first started out I had visions of buying a yacht. I quickly changed my dreams to a small sailing boat. After that I decided maybe an outboard motor boat would be nice. I soon discovered that I could not afford a rubber dinghy. That gave the inquirer the message that I wasn’t making much. In this business, you have to write because you enjoy it and you enjoy the writing community. If you look for a whole lot more, you may not find it.

    But who knows. Reese Witherspoon could come looking for my book to make into a movie, and I would have to eat all my words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for chiming in Kathleen, Margaret, Kait and Grace. I think we all come from the same place -- we write because we can't imagine not writing. And Reese may yet come knocking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Judy, I would definitely kill him off in your next book! Hilarious response to a guy who should have stopped after your first answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, Joe is definitely the victim in your next book! He should know better!
    My mother raised me to never ask such questions, they were considered rude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I love that perk about writing mysteries.

    I haven't been outright asked how much I make. However, I've been asked multiple times: "Have I heard of anything you've written?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer, yes! I'd forgotten that comment. What do you respond?

    ReplyDelete