Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Parable of My Peace Lily by Nancy L. Eady

          

         There are people who can make a plant grow beautiful and healthy by looking at it.  I’m not one of them.  I have, as the saying goes, a brown thumb. 


          The biggest problem I have with plants is their inability to water themselves.  You would not think watering plants is a chore, but somehow, I just forget.  Given my track record, we gave up on house plants some time ago, with the exception of two plants by the front door.  One of them is a peace lily which I forgot to water for over six weeks. 


           About the time we all found ourselves quarantined at home, it looked dead.  All of the leaves were drooping onto the floor and turning brown.  So then, paradoxically, I decided to water it.  I poured in about a cup and there wasn’t any change.  The next day, I poured in even more water. 


           I forgot about it for a day or two, then noticed that the leaves were bright green again and standing up straight.  I have remembered to put in a little water every week since then, and was rewarded this week by the following: 




          I'll let you decide what the moral is, if there is one.


5 comments:

  1. great metaphor for not giving up on our writing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful lily. Amazing how resilient some plants are. The flower is certainly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have one and never even realized it was supposed to bloom! Until we had an Italian exchange student for a year. She had a magical green thumb and straightened that plant right out. Glad yours made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only tough plants live through my care.

    ReplyDelete