Monday, April 20, 2020

Pictures in Words or Simply Pictures?


Pictures in Words or Simply Pictures?   by Debra H. Goldstein



Recently, while I was watching the Oscars, I was impressed by the introduction to the Best Documentary Feature segment. Images of poverty-stricken people stranded in flood waters, glaciers collapsing, and the Columbine High School sign flashed across the screen interspersed with interview soundbites from Greta Thunberg, Michael Moore, and others who advocate for change. The point being made was that the pictorial scenes were more powerful than words. In other words, it was a more sophisticated way of saying “a picture is worth a thousand words.”



Is it?



I admit pictures such as the Vietnamese child running or the baby being carried by the firefighter after
the Oklahoma bombing are seared in our minds, but we as writers also make our mark in the minds of readers. Who can forget Margaret Mitchell’s description of Atlanta’s red clay, the choking sensation of John Steinbeck’s dust bowl, or the simple beauty of Louise Penny’s Three Pines?



Not every author paints such memorable pictures, but with words each author provides readers moments of relief from their everyday existence. The millions of words written result in thousands of instances of transposition. What do you prefer?

10 comments:

  1. I'll be transported any day by James Lee Burke, or on the quirky turn of one of Carl Hiaasen's descriptions of some loathsome jerk who's ruining Florida. Thanks, Debra, for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former professional photographer, I am fond of pictures. However, one example:

    I read The Horse Whisperer before the movie ever came out. The scene of the accident (horse and girl versus tractor-trailer) completely destroyed me emotionally! Tears. Sick to my stomach. It might as well have been ME on that horse, sliding down that snowy slope. See? Even many years later, it's burned into my mind. Anyhow, as much as I love Robert Redford, I refused to go to the movie. I knew I'd lose it during that scene. BUT once it came out on DVD, I bought it. Still didn't watch it right away. Until I decided that nothing... absolutely NOTHING they put on film... could come close to matching what the written word had seared into my brain. And I was right. The film version, while uncomfortable to watch, didn't come close to the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy pictures, but some authors are so amazing I feel like I'm in the story. I see what the character sees. Two that immediately come to mind are Robin Jones Gunn and Kristan Higgins.

    Thanks for your post, Debra. You've encouraged me to go deeper with my scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often think of that old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words." Many photos, like the ones you mention, capture so much in a moment that they do embody the wisdom in those words. However, I think those photos and films are not that common, and in today's digitized and photoshopped world, I don't trust many photos anymore.
    Powerful writing has impact. I've sat through many horror movies, but I still haven't finished Salem's Lot (which I started in high school), because it scared me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an old Life book of photos filled with iconic images of WW2, the fifties and sixties. Before "real time" social media images, those were the photos that shaped our perception of events. Remember the sailor and nurse kissing on V-J Day?

    Now, we so inured to violence in the media that mental images formed from written words, with carefully crafted emotional depth, have more impact.

    Or, as my dad always said, "You can't beat radio drama because the best images are the ones in your head. The Shadow knows."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think all of you (Margaret, Shari, Jackie, Annette, and Nancy make the same point to me -- there are few pictures that capture the essence of the moment, but words in a book can evoke the emotions and sear them into our brain. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I do recognize how powerful many pictures, especially photos, can be, I generally prefer words. Words tap into our own experiences the way that pictures can never do, and leaves room for personalization of the scene and the experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While certain images are seared in my brain it's the written word that God's sway with me. What I can imagine is usually far more potent than what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God's should be has. Thank you autocorrect

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kait, thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure where you were going with your thought. KM, personalization makes a big difference - Much like Annette above was mentioning. She and I would see the same scene differently in reading the book because she's a rider and can physically imagine what I can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete