Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Neighbors Helping Neighbors During Covid-19 by Carla Damron


                                              
“This is the Covid-19 Neighbor Network of the Midlands. My name is Carla, and I’m a volunteer with the Network. How can I help you?”  This is how I answer the phone when a call comes in on our “hotline.” I’ve done two shifts. The calls have been few, but we’re just getting started. At my fingertips—or rather, on my computer—is a large group of files I can consult as calls come in. These are resources we’ve assembled over the past few weeks: everything from where food banks are, what stores offer delivery services, the latest coronavirus info, mental health links, financial assistance options, etc.

The Neighbor Network line is just one piece of Mutual Aid: Columbia SC, an organization which was started by a small group of volunteers in mid-March in response to the Coronavirus outbreak. Faculty members from the Norman J[DHG1] . Arnold School of Public Health (University of South Carolina) joined with other healthcare workers and advocates and identified a large need to help people access resources, especially people in more marginalized communities. Some of the volunteers are bilingual and can assist our Hispanic and Latino neighbors get needed supplies and assistance.

Mutual Aid offers other services, too. Need help getting your prescriptions delivered? Our volunteers can do that. Interested in growing your own food? We can offer planning assistance. Running short of groceries but need to stay home? Volunteers can fetch them for you. Sometimes, in desperate situations, we even help pay for the food.

I’d love to say that my involvement in this group is purely altruistic. That I’m a giving sort of person always looking for ways to help out. That would be utter BS. I’m a part of this project because, when the virus struck, and projections were freakin’ TERRIFYING, I was desperate to channel my energy into something other than panicking. (I’m actually quite adept at panicking.) When a fellow advocate asked if I wanted to volunteer my time, I couldn’t say yes quick enough.

I don’t have much to offer. I can’t sew, so I wasn’t able to join the network of people making face masks or medical gowns for healthcare workers (another big project here in Columbia), and I didn’t think my ancient macramé skills would be of much use. Because of my age, I’m not a prime candidate for running errands for others. But I sure can answer the phone, and since I’m social worker, accessing resources is in my DNA.
This isn't a photo of me answering the phone, but it's close!  It's a wonderful painting by my friend Bill Davis.


Advocacy is another effort of our organization. We’re pushing hard for our governor to issue a “shelter at home” order like most other states have done. Despite the rising numbers of Coronavirus victims in SC, our governor is standing firm. He’s ordered “non-essential businesses” to close and has forbidden groups of more than three to assemble (whatever that means), but he won’t issue the most important order. We keep pushing for it.  We’re also advocating for appropriate protective gear for hospital workers and for much broader testing for the virus. We haven’t had much success in those areas, either. 

Sometimes it’s like banging our heads against multiple walls. As an advocate in SC, I’m used to the pounding headaches.

There is much to be proud of with this group, which, unsurprisingly, is comprised mostly of women. We aren’t even a month old, and we have a hotline number, a website (http://mutualaidcolasc.org/), several Facebook groups, an ever-growing library of resources, and multiple volunteers ready to assist residents of our community. What’s chilling is imagining how much we may be needed. I’m continually impressed by the spirit and drive I see in the volunteers. I know that as this virus spreads, as resources dwindle, we’ll do our very best to help however we can.

Have you found ways to volunteer related to the Covid-19 Crisis? What’s your community’s greatest need?
PS Good news! The Governor issued a Stay at Home order that goes into effect this afternoon at 5!! Thank you Governor McMaster!

               
               

               


6 comments:

  1. We are making masks, but alarmingly, very few people are wearing them around here.

    I live in a tourist area, and at this point tourism is way down, as it should be. There are far fewer people walking around in town, but car traffic seems to be about the same, and the parking lots at the businesses that are open are full.

    Entire families are in the stores, when one person would be enough to get the essential shopping done.

    I'm also still hearing, "It's just the flu," and "It'll stay in the big cities."

    Except for trips to the grocery store, we're staying home. And wearing a mask when we do go out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your service, Carla! I'm obeying the governor and staying at home except to walk the dogs. My hunter-gatherer husband hits one grocery store a week, in and out in fifteen minutes wearing a bandanna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denial is real, KM. And Margaret I MISS going to the store. I really, really, really want to buy plants for my garden but that is not a "necessary" venture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to contribute, Carla! I'm sheltering in place, so not physically contributing as much. I was grateful, though, to have an opportunity to send some e-encouragements the other week to some essential workers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, that's wonderful. E-encouragements are safe and much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing, Carla! What a great thing to do, so necessary and I'm sure difficult at times. It's strange to think how this one disease has put life as we know it out of joint. We'll get through, but the future will be much different than we thought it would be.

    Our governor has issued a hang out if you want to order. No teeth. Many of the harder hit municipalities have issued real stay at home orders and imposed curfews. Kudos to them. Community members on our local Facebook page have organized groups to shop and tend to those who are unable or who simply should not. Our Sheriff is diligent about enforcing no large groups and responding whenever called. For as frightening as it is, there is something of a spirit of togetherness that had been lacking for a while, and that's nice to see.

    Stay safe, everyone.

    ReplyDelete