Saturday, April 4, 2020

Irish American Travellers by Sasscer Hill



Hello to Writers Who Kill. Let me tell you a little about the strange culture of the American gypsies known as Irish American Travellers.

My new novel, Travels of Quinn, a dark-cozy mystery, is based loosely on the largest clan of these people in the US, located only thirty-five minutes from my house. Some might remember a reality show called “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.” It was filmed in the town, Murphy Village, South Carolina.

The culture of the Travellers is strange, to say the least. The women are into big hair, teasing, using entire cans of mousse, or wearing wigs.  They love makeup and bling. Children are pulled from school no later than the sixth or seventh grade. Girls stay at home and are locked into marriage contracts, often when only five years old. Locally, I’ve seen little girls with diamond engagement rings. Like the adult women, they are dressed to kill, with similar makeup and hair styles. These people are extremely insular, sticking to themselves and avoiding outsiders as a way of preserving their culture.

Like grifters, the men and boys travel out of state during warm weather, running home improvement swindles. Many Travellers speak a secret language, a mixture of Gaelic and English called “Cant”– useful when pulling off a scam. But many people who know them say most Travellers are honest hard-working people.

Researching this story, I met with law enforcement officials including the head of the county detention center and a criminal defense attorney who represents Travellers. I met with the county prosecutor and the judge for the second Judicial Circuit in South Carolina, who has presided over their trials. I was so fascinated by these people, I wanted to drive into Murphy Village to see if the stories about their McMansions and the trailers they often continue to live in were true.

People told me, “Don’t go in there, it’s dangerous. They will run you out. You could even get hurt!”

 But we writers are crazy, so off I went one afternoon with my iPhone video camera and my husband at the wheel. Murphy Village, called “Tinkers Town” in my novel, had one way in with cross streets ending in cul-de-sacs or dead ends that forced us to make awkward K turns to get out again. That made me feel vulnerable, except no one bothered us.

As promised, there were McMansions, trailers, and numerous statues of Catholic saints in the yards outside. A number of huge front doors had orange stickers on them. We couldn’t imagine what those were for. We drove slowly through the village for at least twenty minutes shooting video, and no one cared. The place was dead quiet, and I decided the people who’d uttered dire warnings didn’t know what they were talking about.


 Imagine my shock the next morning when the newspaper announced that early the day we’d been there, 22 people in Murphy Village had been arrested on fraud and racketeering charges. No wonder nobody bothered us. They were in jail! What are the chances I would pick the day of an FBI sting to visit this village? Oh, and those orange stickers? They were forfeiture notices. The feds were confiscating these people’s homes.

Imagine if you will, the story of Quinn O’Neill, a nineteen-year-old woman who was born into this culture. Imagine she wants out, but she’s torn with indecision. Her parents signed her into a marriage contract to a young criminal she doesn’t love. But does she really want to leave everything she knows and be ostracized by her family? Is there a way she can escape?

Watch the short trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V76f6tPNBE    

Author Sasscer Hill was involved in horse racing as an amateur jockey and racehorse breeder for most of her life. She sets many of her novels against a background of big money, gambling, and horse racing. Her mystery and suspense thrillers have won multiple awards and many award nominations.

Her newest title and first non-horse racing mystery, was out in February of 2020. Travels of Quinn, is a mystery-thriller based on the con artists known as Irish American Travelers.


23 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new release! I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning to the excellent group of writers at Writers Who Kill! A footnote to my story:

    On February 13, the Aiken Arts Center hosted its last event before the virus shut it down. The Center featured TRAVELS OF QUINN along with their photo and painting exhibit honoring Black History Month.

    A woman who was obviously a Traveller and her husband came to my book signing. She was wearing a black, red and gold silk dress, big hair, gorgeous jewelry, and movie star makeup. She looked me up and down, I looked at her and said, "I love your outfit!" She bought the book. Two days later, a male Traveller who befriended me on Facebook said at first the village was upset with me for writing the book, but, he said, “They aren’t now. That was a relief to hear. It never hurts to be nice and give a genuine compliment. I really did think she looked fabulous!

    Have any of you ever dealt with the Travellers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fascinating culture and setting! I've read the book and it doesn't diasappoint. Quinn's story immediately drew me in and kept me turning pages til the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sasscer,

    I love this post. When gypsies came to visit the town where I used to live in Kentucky, we were on high alert at the pharmacy where I worked. They's swarm into stores and steal items right and left. They drifted from one store to the next. They were in command. The only way to keep them out was to lock the front door, and as a pharmacy that wasn't possible. I'm not sure they were the same gypsies you dealt with, but they were scary.

    I can't wait to read Travels of Quinn. Congratulations on your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They must not be beach people. I've never heard of them coming to OBX. We get bikers, fisherpeople, kite surfers, even Amish groups, etc., but no Travellers. (BTW--I had to look this up to see if it were the correct spelling.) Glad you were able to befriend a few of the Travellers, Sasscer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. E.B. Davis, I sure didn't want them as enemies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have (or had) a colony of Travellers in Fort Worth. They were known for run-ins with the law and for secrecy. Their troubles rarely made the news, and when they did the Travellers worked hard to conceal everything. They used to come in to a friend's restaurant where I ran the cash register every Saturday night, and they were guilty of everything from pranks (loosening the tops of salt shakers so they dumped on peoples' food) to trying to cheat me at the cash register--putting down a $20 and swearing they gave a $100. Everything you said, Sasscer, about big hair and bling, was true of this bunch too. I haven't heard anything about them in several years and don't know if that community is still here or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the novel! Great post about all your research. Always interesting to hear what writers do behind the scenes for their books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy Alter, now that the book is out, I'm getting a lot of comments like yours. Amazing how many people have had a run in with the Travellers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the last generation of the old Irish side of my family, two uncles entered into "mixed marriages," much to the dismay of the rest of the family. One married an Orange (North Ireland protestant) woman, and the other married, gasp! a widowed Tinker woman.

    Looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. KM Rockwood, thanks for your comment. I especially enjoyed the "gasp!" It made me smile, something I haven't done enough lately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved, loved, loved the book. Now I want to travel to Aiken to see those gorgeous horses and to see the Travellers. I'd not heard of them before your book, Sasscer, but I've since learned that they frequently travel to Florida especially toward the end of snowbird season where they can work their magic on people who won't often know they were scammed until they've either returned north, or returned to their residences the next winter. A fascinating group.

    Will this be a series?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kait, I'm planning on the next novel having a title like, "Searching for Jennifer O'Neil," who is Quinn's mother. Quinn's been told her mother abandoned Quinn when she was just two-years old. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book Kait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Sasscer. Now I can explain some of that Irish craziness in the family. (We used to roll our hair with orange juice cans!) Gotta add, other cultures have their Travellers. The Spanish gypsies are unbelievable, and the music! I grew up in Northwest Indiana and for a while we had the Polish Travellers. They'd come in the front door, ransack the house, and go out the back in about two minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an interesting subject for a mystery. Wishing you many, many sales!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ellen Byron/Maria DiRicoApril 4, 2020 at 2:46 PM

    Sasscer, this couldn't be more fascinating! What crazy, mystery-author luck on your part, lol. The book sounds wonderful. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nancy, Ellen and Marilyn, thank you guys so much for your comments! So appreciated.
    The judge I interviewed at the Aiken County Courthouse said that after the FBI sting operation the children of these people disappeared. He looked at me and said, "We couldn't find the children anywhere." I'm not surprised. That culture would not want their children in the hands of social services. Hmm, this could be a whole other story, maybe a part of the second book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a fascinating topic. I have your book, Sasscer. Next on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely comment to read, Kassandra!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This dive into the culture of the Irish Travellers is a different twist from most of your previous writings, but it makes the Aiken setting a major part of the story. I cheered when some of the thugs got what was coming to them.

    ReplyDelete