Sunday, February 23, 2020

Deadline Madness Ramblings



As I’m writing this, I’m in the midst of Deadline Madness. On steroids. While working through the edits for the 10th Zoe Chambers Mystery, I’m promoting the release of Under the Radar, which is the ninth. Daily, I ask myself two questions:

11)    Whoever came up with having a major deadline hit at the same time as a release?
22)    What book am I supposed to be talking about today?


I don’t know about you, but when I have a deadline looming, my brain gets frazzled. I get totally immersed in how to change a scene or how to re-weave a thread throughout the tale. And then I go to a book event and someone asks about the “new book.”

Except, to me, that’s the old book.

The gears in my brain grind from fifth gear to reverse.

The part that gives me nightmares is the fear of revealing a spoiler. Seriously, I have a recurring nightmare that I drop a bomb from the book I’m writing or revising without realizing, in my reader’s mind, that hasn’t happened yet!

Oops.

It’s the equivalent of having a friend tell you about last night’s episode of your favorite television show—the one you’ve DVRed and not had a chance to watch.

The real issue, though, is time management. I have so many pages in the book and so many days to complete the edits. Simple division should work, giving me a daily page goal. Once I meet that goal, I’m free to spend the rest of my day on other writerly business.

In theory.

In reality, I’m happily buzzing along adding description or trimming too much or fulfilling whatever requests my editor has made when bam! A beta reader sends me a comment about a major issue. The foundation of my plot.

Basically, it doesn’t work.

At which point the page goals explode in my face. Unfortunately, the explosion hasn’t done a thing to push back the deadline.

Now what?

In my case, I step away for a few hours. I do the laundry. I run the vacuum. I rearrange the furniture. All the while, my brain churns on the problem at hand.

Did I come up with a solution?

Yes! Is it a good solution? Maybe. Right now, I’ll be happy with it being “plausible,” because with that firm (and fast approaching) deadline, I don’t have time to rewrite the entire book.

We write fiction. But we also have readers who are smart. They’ll call us on a glaring error.

However…

I repeat. We write fiction. Frankly, I don’t want to provide a textbook, especially one that tells precisely and accurately how to commit murder. I keep remembering the old MacGyver. Not the new one, which I have mixed feelings about—a subject for another day. 

In the old series, MacGyver could make a bomb out of anything. Except, the writers left out one or more key ingredients. They didn’t want some high school kid mimicking the show and blowing up his bathroom. Or worse.

So if I fudge a little on the murder method, I hope my readers don’t call me out on it.


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your latest release and good luck with the edits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your latest release! Editing and writing deadlines and new releases all at once - yikes. I had that in 2017 and the entire year is a black hole, I remember nothing.
    How fun to see your graphic with all the books in your series. Readers love having all those great books to look forward to - if only they knew the hard work and angst that goes into creating them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on Under the Radar. Can't wait to read it.

    So true about dual book mind. It's hard to keep the events separate and fear of spoilers must be huge! Hang in there. Sounds like edits on book 10 will be done soon given the deadline. Do you go back and re-read the book you're promoting when you are running a dual deadline?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be under a lot of pressure, but however you do it, it works! Each book is more intriguing than the last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shari, YES. A black hole is a good way to describe it! I think the bulk of the last decade has been one for me!

    Kait, thanks. And no, I don't go back and re-read. I skim through it and pick out sections to focus my talking points, but I don't read the whole thing.

    Thank you, KM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warren, that might make a fun engraving on our tombstones: The Deadline Did It.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the simultaneous editing and writing deadlines and a new release - I have been there and actually AM there once again (March 31 release - also my 20th novel - AND April 1 deadline). All we can do is shoulder, I mean, soldier on! I know you can do it with panache, elan, and talent, my friend.

    ReplyDelete