Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Agony of Book Titles by Susan Van Kirk



It is easier for me to write an entire mystery than to come up with an amazing title. Seriously, I find it agony to create titles. I think about a title for weeks while I’m doing other things, and often my subconscious will nail it while I’m asleep. That must mean I’m trying too hard during my conscious hours, right?



My newest book, A Death at Tippitt Pond, is a prime example. When I sent the pre-publication manuscript to a book contest that sent me three judges’ comments, I received two positive comments on the title and one negative. I still decided to use it (Sorry, third judge.) But look at this photo of the paper where I determined the title, and you’ll see how many possibilities I thought about before I circled one.


I’ve decided to go by some guidelines for writing my book titles. Here they are.




First, the title must support the book’s genre. If it’s a cozy, I don’t want the same kind of title as a thriller or a historical fiction novel. Second, it should reflect the tone of my book. Third, it might hint at my theme. Fourth, it should have a word or phrase I can repeat while writing a series. Fifth, it might have a recurring character’s name. Sixth, it could be a phrase I use at a crucial time in the plot. Seventh, it could contain random words connected to the book that I’ve moved around in various patterns (again, see photo). Eighth, if all else fails, I’ll sleep on it and let my subconscious sort it out.

I decided on A Death at Tippitt Pond because it is a combination of cozy-bordering-on-traditional mystery. So it isn’t as “cozy” as a cozy with animals or recipes. The Tippitt family who owns this pond is going to be a force throughout the series. Adding that to the title will help down the road. I also liked the title because I could repeat it in advertising. The plot of this book proves that “a death at Tippitt Pond changed everything.” Big time. In a way, that points to a theme of the book: decisions made by people throughout history change outcomes dramatically. My main character is a historical researcher. I also have room to grow. Combining the word “death” or “Tippitt” with other phrases will yield titles for books that will help brand the series.


I’ve learned a lot. I originally titled my first Endurance mystery, “A Silent Place to Die.” Seriously? Now I am embarrassed. It was a cozy. Does that sound cozy? I had a terrible time coming up with a more relevant title. Then I remembered that my protagonist, Grace Kimball, was a retired English teacher. She would have taught pieces of Ben Franklin’s Poor Richard’s Almanac. Bingo! I began using phrases from that book for the whole series. “Three May Keep a Secret (if two of them are dead), “Marry in Haste (repent at leisure), and “Death Takes No Bribes.” The e-book novella about my Endurance detective does not follow Ben Franklin’s proverbs, but then the protagonist isn’t Grace Kimball either.

I would like to think I’ve become better at framing titles. How about you? Do you have any advice to add about creating titles?

6 comments:

  1. Several years ago, an author visiting Jungle Red Writers did title makeovers for anyone who needed help. I don't remember her name.

    I proposed Carriage House Corpse. Boring, she said. I finally came up with Curtains for the Corpse.

    I proposed Conference Center Corpse with the same response. It morphed into Corniced to Death.

    Susan, I like your titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Margaret. Maybe we are title-challenged authors. Right now I'm struggling with another title, but it will eventually find its way into my head. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the title. And how you figure out which one is best for you. Each of my romantic comedy mysteries begins with Temporarily. I wanted the consistency in the series. As for the short stories, the magazine which published some of them changed a few of the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dizzying comments. You do such a great job of thinking it through! And I like your selections.

    I do have to admit that, if they gave a prize for great contemporary title, I think a strong contender would be Shari Randall's first lobster shack mystery. "Curses, Boiled Again."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, I love your idea. Temporarily can go in so many directions. Good thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KM, I agree with you about Shari’s title. It is perfect. 🤣

    ReplyDelete