Monday, September 2, 2019

Drowning in Idea Debt

by Linda Rodriguez

I have been reading about “idea debt.” This is an important concept that I had never given any thought to. This concept refers to the baggage we carry in our minds of all the old ideas and ambitions we had at one time, in which we've invested great energy and thought, that keep us from doing the new important things we want to do and should do, because they're stopping our energy and thought. I first heard about it from Sarah Swett and Beth Smith, two highly regarded fiber artists whom I respect greatly. They referred me to Jessica Abel's website, https://jessicaabel.com/, where she discusses idea debt in great detail.

Abel talks about the importance of going through and listing all of these old ideas and ambitions, in which we have invested so much, and deciding which ones we will let go, just discard and no longer pour our time and energy into them. She talks about the immense amount of creative energy and excitement that was freed up when she went through this step. I think it would be a good idea for me to go through this stuff, as well.

Abel also talks about developing systems to support and bolster your creative work, systems based on your individual mind and way of doing things. She is an award-winning cartoonist and graphic novelist (editor of the Best American Comics series for six years) and art professor, who teaches people to do their creative work by using tools that she has developed to help them make their work rather than simply dream about it. She has written the book, Growing Gills: How to Find Creative Focus When You’re Drowning in Your Daily Life, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07284HSHQ?tag=jessicaabel-20. She has a blog, https://jessicaabel.com/blog/, and a podcast, https://jessicaabel.com/podcast/, as well as lots of free advice and articles on her website.

Abel asks if imagining our future work is holding us back from creating the work we should be doing right now. She tells us we are doing too much thinking and too little making. Unfortunately, she is right. The term, “idea debt,” came from Kazu Kibuishi, a name for this struggle with creative sunk costs of energy, time, and passion. Kibuishi points out that “no matter what you do, it will never be as great as it is in your mind. So you’re really setting yourself up for failure in some ways.”

As Abel points out, this huge amount of idea debt not only sets the artist up for failure on this great dream of a project, but also robs him/her of the energy, drive, and passion needed to create the project that s/he wants to create right now. As Abel explains it, “Idea debt is when you spend too much time picturing what a project is going to be like, too much time thinking about how awesome it will be to have this thing done and in the world, too much time imagining how cool you will look, how in demand you’ll be, how much money you’ll make. And way too little time actually making the thing.” Sound familiar to anyone?

According to Abel, “Avoiding idea debt is about acting before you think too much and get overwhelmed by how hard and how important your project feels.” If you're willing to ignore your fears and shortcomings and just keep on moving ahead, she says, you will eventually bridge the gap between now-you and future-you. But when you carry idea debt for too long and your life moves on, it becomes a weight hanging around your neck and keeping you from moving ahead into the projects that your creative vision of now needs you to explore. It's only too easy to become weighed down by old ideas that hold you back from creating the fresh new work that you as an artist need to be making.

We grow up. We change. We learn. One day, those old ideas that were once so exciting and fascinated are no longer useful to us. As writers, we know that ideas themselves are a dime a dozen. It's always what you invest in them and what you do with them that makes anything worthwhile. I myself have more ideas, that I've been listing in journals and notebooks for years, than I could ever develop if I live for another hundred years. According to Abel, if I kick those old ideas to the curb, I will regain huge amounts of psychic energy and imaginative drive. I think maybe it's time for me to go through those old ideas and be ruthless, weeding out everything that I've truly outgrown, anything that gives me any hint of a pause, trying to cut them down as drastically as possible. We'll see if that doesn't give me new drive and energy to focus on the projects that I want to focus on right now.

What do you think about the concept of idea debt? Are you carrying around old ideas and fantastic goals that are robbing you of energy and drive that you could use currently?


Linda Rodriguez's 11th book, Fishy Business: The Fifth Guppy Anthology (edited), was recently published. Dark Sister: Poems is her 10th book and was a finalist for the Oklahoma Book Award. Plotting the Character-Driven Novel, based on her popular workshop, and The World Is One Place: Native American Poets Visit the Middle East, an anthology she co-edited, were published in 2017.  Every Family Doubt, her fourth mystery featuring Cherokee detective, Skeet Bannion, and Revising the Character-Driven Novel will be published in 2020. Her three earlier Skeet novels—Every Hidden Fear, Every Broken Trust, Every Last Secret—and earlier books of poetry—Skin Hunger and Heart's Migration—have received critical recognition and awards, such as St. Martin's Press/Malice Domestic Best First Novel, International Latino Book Award, Latina Book Club Best Book of 2014, Midwest Voices & Visions, Elvira Cordero Cisneros Award, Thorpe Menn Award, and Ragdale and Macondo fellowships. Her short story, “The Good Neighbor,” published in Kansas City Noir, has been optioned for film.

Rodriguez is past chair of the AWP Indigenous Writer’s Caucus, past president of Border Crimes chapter of Sisters in Crime, founding board member of Latino Writers Collective and The Writers Place, and a member of International Thriller Writers, Native Writers Circle of the Americas, Wordcraft Circle of Native American Writers and Storytellers, and Kansas City Cherokee Community. Learn more about her at http://lindarodriguezwrites.blogspot.com



13 comments:

  1. So much to think about here, Linda. Sometimes I feel almost literally tangled up in ideas and projects that I want to do. I'll be exploring more about idea debt. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great concept! A few years ago I bought a "professional" scanner. That led me to dig out the box of newspaper clippings, handwritten notes, etc. that had sparked my imagination at the time. My goal, scan them so I could search them. The reality--I spent a lot of time wondering what I was thinking when I clipped the articles. They no longer sparked much, if any, interest. I ended up with far fewer gems than I originally thought. It was a freeing exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating. I have many aborted projects and find myself feeling guilty about them. This concept might be much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting concept, Linda. I think it applies to my experience yesterday when I went searching for a recipe among the hundreds that I'd saved. As I combed through them, I noticed how many of them I'd never tried—and never will.

    I would add to Abel's list of things that stop creativity: When someone who intends to write a book keeps on talking about it instead of putting his/her ideas on paper or the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great concept that might help me sort through all the ideas swirling in my head, most of them demanding attention at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret, yes. It is a lot about. It's a complex set of ideas, but I think it's very important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry, oh, I really know that feeling. All tangled up in so many ideas and inspirations that it becomes impossible to focus and work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shari! Voice rec software strikes again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kait, something similar happened to me during our downsizing. I had to go through a big file drawer full of folders of ideas and clippings and other ephemera of inspiration. I knew I would have to be ruthless in discarding, but as I went through them, I found that it wasn't difficult at all. I wondered why I had been saving so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, Carla! I think perhaps we fetishize stick-to-itiveness no matter what, and that can become really self-destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, Marilyn! I have hundreds of cookbooks, a huge loose leaf binder full of recipes, an oversized recipe file box crammed to overflowing, and multiple folders on my computer. Yet I consistently make a repertoire of, at the max, perhaps 30 or so recipes, many of which I know by heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. KM, yes! It's funny how non-writers always ask us how we get our ideas, when actually we often have too many ideas, and they can cripple us into inaction and paralysis.

    ReplyDelete