Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Honest Rejection Letter, as Imagined by Carla Damron

I am just back from a wonderful writing retreat among some very creative women. Part of our weekend included writing exercises. The following is one I completed—a story in a letter. Sort of. My fellow wild women writers suggested I share it on the blog, so here goes!

Dear Author,

Thank you for submitting your novel, A Long Road to Nowhere, to Acme Publishing. Unfortunately we do not feel it is a good fit for our company. It may have been a good fit, had I read it before lunch, and if lunch hadn't included two glasses of a very nice chardonnay.

Or maybe it would have fit if I hadn’t just read five chapters of someone’s else’s work, an Apocalyptic YA novel about transgendered vampires, that had an opening which I loved, but completely fell apart at chapter two. (Seriously? A transgendered vampire would not convert to Buddhism.)

And, you may not want to hear that we just accepted someone else’s work, a coming of age graphic novel, reminiscent of To Kill A Mockingbird, except that it’s set on planet Zargon and the protagonist has tentacled arms and drives a moon-ship. Graphic novels are all the rage this week.

And perhaps your work would have fit with Acme Publishing, if my boss, the assistant acquisitions editor, hadn't just handed me the novella written by our editor-in-chief’s thirteen-year-old niece, with orders that I find something in it that’s salvageable. “She did a nice job with her margins” was not, apparently, strong enough praise.

Your manuscript aside, I found your query letter striking. Interesting that you mentioned sending it to forty other publishing companies. Were we supposed to be flattered to be number forty-one? And, while I’m very glad that your mother loved the work and your writer’s group thinks it’s as good or better than Joyce Carrol Oates, these opinions are likely biased. (My mother loved my high school performance of Anne Frank but you don’t see me on Broadway, do you?)

The inclusion of a bottle of scotch with your manuscript was a nice addition. Perhaps it would have scored more points with me if the editorial committee hadn’t snagged it before I saw the label. They’re in the board room right now singing Abba tunes.
As you know, author, the selection process is a subjective one, and you may find another publishing house that is eager to accept your work.

Best wishes,
Intern to the assistant acquisitions editor

10 comments:

  1. LOL, Carla! Sometimes rejection is random.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla,

    You sure you didn’t crib from the reject letter I received from my best chance at an agent?

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, this made me laugh even though I think, unfortunately, that sometimes this letter is nearer the truth than "does not meet our needs at this time."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla, this made me laugh even though I think, unfortunately, that sometimes this letter is nearer the truth than "does not meet our needs at this time."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I would love to receive a letter like this rather than "not quite what we're looking for at this time."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the truth might be a nice change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved it! At least it's not a standard strip notice poorly torn from a page of 20, with the author's name misspelled in the hand-written salutation and the wrong title.

    Which is better no response at all, esp. from places that don't tell you they may take up to 6 months (or years) to make up their minds, and you can consider it a rejection after that point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved, loved, loved this, Carla. I'm still smiling. Unfortunately, although it's satirical and funny, there is a kernel of truth in it and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete