Friday, September 5, 2014

Sustaining Notes


Sustaining Notes

I am learning quite a bit in my singing lessons.  There is more to singing than I expected.  I didn’t know each breath needs to be planned. Pauses to breathe are called, “lifts.” In a chorus you can’t have everyone breathe at the same time.  That would put a moment of silence into the music. 

There is a way to stand and a way to hold your mouth to pronounce different vowels.  The “aw” sound in the word straw is different than the “aw” sound in ought. I discovered that by watching myself sing in the mirror.  (You can try it out yourself.)  Just listening, it’s hard to hear the difference.

My coach says vowels are more important than consonants.  I am supposed to sustain the vowel sounds and clip off the consonants.  Sometimes I manage that, usually when I forget my lifts.

Another problem for me is where to look on the sheet of music. I practiced on my electronic keyboard by looking at the notes on the treble clef, which is where the melody is.  Bases look at the base clef.  Even then the baritone notes and the base notes are both on the lines of the base clef. Bases sing the lower notes.  I have a tendency to slip into the melody, which is easier, for me at least, to hear.  At times I go one note at a time.  I try to pay attention to the tone, the rhythm and the lyrics while planning when to take a breath.  Watching the bass notes keeps my eyes focused away from lyrics. 

I’ve chosen a song for my first solo.  At this point I’ve sung it so many times that it’s getting boring.  Unfortunately I have so many things to work on in my singing before I’m scheduled to sing that I expect to sing it many more times.  Many many more.

I like learning things I know little about, like singing.  What would you like to know more about?

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to know more about law and the legal system. A book I'm reading points out facts that make sense, but that off the top of my head, I didn't know. Like if you are convicted of a felony--you have no longer have Fourth Amendment rights.

    The fact in and of itself doesn't have plot ramifications, but it could impact a plot. It's knowledge of those little legal aspects that make and break books. Having that knowledge would make plotting more easy.

    Since I don't have that knowledge, I have to do a lot of research when plotting. I find it fascinating, but how do you know what to research what you don't know?

    Sometimes you get lucky and stumble onto the right information. But other times, you wonder if after your book is published--some lawyer or other whiz-kid will point out some data you missed that undermines the veracity of your plot.

    Yes--I'd like to know more about details of the legal system. I thought about going to law school, but I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am forever learning new things. My problem is that I want to know it all, so I find my knowledge is like the Platte river: a mile wide, and inch deep and muddy.

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren, I'm like Jim. I hear something on NPR or read about something in the newspaper or TIME, and I want to learn more about it. Sometimes, I research it, but most of the time, I don't have the time to pursue it. I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently, I finished my first painting (acrylic on canvas) and have been considering lessons but am on the fence about it. I'd like to learn new techniques, but there's something freeing about painting just for fun without being concerned it's done correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to know more about lots of things, but, like everyone else,have to admit that there is limited time & I can only address a few things at once.

    I wish I could write historical fiction. I love reading books where they seem to have the details right--and I marvel that some people are capable of recreating a passed world in fiction so that the reader can step into it and enjoy the story.

    ReplyDelete