Tuesday, September 9, 2014

In late summer, I begin to see the ads for events that encourage me to sign up for table space to display and sell my books. Local charities and churches will have scheduled art shows, craft fairs, and Christmas bazaars as fund raisers.

Most organizations charge a fee of either $10 or $25 for the space. I consider that to be a donation and make sure I support the mission of the organization before I sign up. That way, even if I were not to make my money back, I would feel the contribution was worthwhile. That has never happened—I’ve always made back the fee and more—but it’s always a possibility.

The financial return for the time and effort wouldn’t be worth it if I didn’t enjoy doing them. And the tax hassle alone would be enough to send me screaming in the other direction.


But I do enjoy them. I sell a few books and get to meet new people and fans.

The other vendors are wonderful. I’ve found a number of women who bring their husbands or sons for the heavy hauling (often with hand trucks) and, once their own displays are set up, they offer to help me unloading my truck.

I’ve only been doing this for a few years, since my first book came out in 2012, and I’ve had at least one new book every year since.

Usually my space is only big enough to accommodate a card table, but that’s enough. I use a tri-fold poster and easels for display copies of my books. Since they are mysteries, I have several murderous props and a skull table covering. Post Halloween sales are the time to stock up on those things. I bring a bowl with individually wrapped atomic fireballs and butterscotch discs. Several people bring chocolate candies. I don’t want to compete with them. And good chocolate is expensive! Quite a few people say they haven’t had an atomic fireball in years. I have the butterscotch for anyone who doesn’t want the heat!

Since especially around Christmas, people are shopping for gifts, I have gift-
wrapped sets of signed books, which I offer at a discount. I haven’t figured out what makes them popular at some events and not at others. Of course, I offer the same discount if someone wants to buy the same books unwrapped.

In addition to the books, I bring bookmarks and have a few pamphlets with short stories that I give out free in case someone is interested in sampling my writing. They are stories that have been published in the past, but the rights have been returned to me, usually after one year.

Do you have events you enjoy that promote your writing?


8 comments:

  1. You are so enterprising, K.M.! Since I don't have a book released, I don't think about these events. We have a book launch of Chesapeake Crimes: Homicidal Holidays, but it is over Columbus Day, and I had already made out of town plans before the date was announced, making me feel as if I'm not contributing the way I should. But obligations are obligations. You must be extroverted. I'm a bit shy yet in promoting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KM,
    These are wonderful ideas. I really like the way you give away your short story "samples" - I will file that idea away….
    Atomic Fireballs! What a blast from the past. I didn't know they were still around. Where do you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. KM,

    Good work, but how do you find out about all these opportunities?

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. E.B, I'm not particularly extroverted, but I do love meeting new people. Sometimes conflicts come up, and there's not a whole lot we can do about them except make the decision of what we need to do.

    Shari, I get the atomic fireballs at BJs in big packages. So many people seem delighted to see them and will come over to get one when I offer them. Of course a lot of them don't buy books, but at least I get noticed.

    Jim, now I have a list of probable events and phone numbers to call early to check. But I had to compile that. The best sources I have found for announcements are laundromat bulletin boards and eclectic local newsletters with "Happening this month in (insert county name.")It's a rural area with a big tourist trade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KM, I admire you for the promotions you do. I hadn't thought of summer festivals, although I planned on reserving a spot at my church's Christmas craft show. Since I wasn't sure who was in charge until the Women's Guild yearly program came out, I procrastinated. When I called the chairman, all the spots had been filled for several months now. However, she thought since I'd only need the space of a card table, she might be able to fit me in and will get back to me in a month. I hope she calls back.

    I'd also considered the Ohio Book Fair which is a big event with hundreds of people coming to it and leaving with bags of books. But alas and alack, they do not allow self-published authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful ideas, K.M. I admire your creativity.

    I've never heard of an Atomic Fireball. Maybe I should try one although it sounds like I should have a glass of cold water handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gloria, I've thought a couple of times about signing up for a table at the Baltimore Book Festival. But it's $100, downtown where there's no parking, and the slots fill up fast. Still, since my main series is set in Maryland, it's a natural. Maybe next year!

    Kara, I have to admit these don't pay well enough to make it worth your while if you don't enjoy them. But they do lead to a little more exposure and I find them fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloria, I've thought a couple of times about signing up for a table at the Baltimore Book Festival. But it's $100, downtown where there's no parking, and the slots fill up fast. Still, since my main series is set in Maryland, it's a natural. Maybe next year!

    Kara, I have to admit these don't pay well enough to make it worth your while if you don't enjoy them. But they do lead to a little more exposure and I find them fun.

    ReplyDelete