Friday, July 29, 2011

News from New Zealand

New Zealand News

Last week I wrote about news of the Midwest. This week I will tell you about the news in one paper that I borrowed after it was discarded by my seatmate on the flight from Auckland to Christchurch. I make no claim to describe all print journalism in the land of the long white cloud.

The lead story was about a woman who survived a head on collision with a drunk teenager who was driving in her lane. Good news and well worth covering. However the paper showed a picture of the woman, who was very attractive, in a bikini. Now, I do not know what she wears when she drives but it is midwinter here.

Another story was about a teenaged couple who killed one set of parents who disapproved of their relationship and then invited their friends over to have a party. I don’t remember where they lived. The parents might have had a point.

A third story was about an Italian woman who supported her husband’s political career but when he lost an election for mayor she dressed in a cat woman suit, and waited with a gun to kill him. According to the story she told police she had a change of heart when she had him in her sights and decided not to shoot.

Rupert Murdock’s wife reportedly assaulted a protestor after he threw a pie pan full of shaving cream in her husband’s face.

Were these four stories the most crucial information for the public to know? I could be wrong but I suspect not. I wondered if the paper was owned by Rupert Murdock.

I also noticed many want ads under the heading of Adult Entertainment. Some ads seemed to be jobs to be filled. Others seemed to be ads by entertainers searching for an audience. The three most common attributes described were blonde, thin and large bra cup size.

There was extensive news about rugby and full paragraphs where I knew each and every word individually but I could not understand what they meant together.

I don’t think I’ll subscribe.

Other tidbits: The water drains from the sink counterclockwise opposite from the direction in the United States. The stars visible in the sky at night are in different constellations. I have seen the Southern Cross. There was a 5.1 earthquake the first night we were here. We slept right thorough it but have been assured that we will have other chances to experience one.

Cheerio!

5 comments:

  1. My father loved to travel, so I traveled at an early age. There's no better education.

    I've always wanted to see the Southern Cross, so I just looked it up online. There were more references to the song than to the constellation. The images were ho-hum, like the book is better than the movie. But then, whenever someone points out a constellation to me, I'm immediately turned off because I detest Greek Mythology.

    I've always wanted to see the aurora borealis and was surprised to learn that there is a corresponding southern aurora australis. There is a strange and beautiful symmetry in the earth's mechanics when water swirls in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere.

    I hope you sleep through all of the earthquakes and fine better reading material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Warren, you may want to subscribe to the newspaper just because it's so unique (odd?). There may be an idea for a mystery among the bikini clad accident victim and the potential murderer dressed as catwoman stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My internet access is spotty so I may have trouble getting to the blog at times. One nice thing about the news here is that news from the United States is covered in less detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story about the kid who killed his parents and then threw a party--he was from FL--can't recall where--not where I live, thankfully. We have so many murders here I feel like we live in the Wild West!

    Hope you are enjoying New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having a great time here. Still without a phone or dependable internet.

    ReplyDelete