Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Making Meaningful Writing Associations

 by Paula Gail Benson

             As writers starting out, we often seek writing groups in our community to learn, network, and develop additional contacts. I’ve mentioned in several posts that when I began getting serious about writing, I traveled with a friend an hour and a half from Columbia, South Carolina, to go to meetings in Charleston because a group met there that offered craft workshops. At the time, it was the only opportunity I had to receive that kind of information and interact with other writers.

             Now, thanks to virtual meeting capabilities, it can be valuable to belong to numerous groups, whether or not they are based in your geographic location. Joseph S. Walker, an incredibly talented writer who has won the Bill Crider Award at the Dallas Bouchercon, twice won the Al Blanchard award, been nominated for an Edgar, and now serves as President of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, became a member of several Sisters in Crime chapters in order to submit stories to the anthologies they sponsored. Not only has his work been published in those books, but also it has appeared in other periodicals and anthologies as well as several volumes of The Best Mystery Stories of the Year.

             Being part of the online Guppies chapter of Sisters in Crime introduced me to a community that respects and encourages short story writers. Through the Guppies’ short story critique group, I received valuable comments on my own work and met folks I now consider close friends. This year, I’ve had stories accepted by Kaye George for two anthologies she edited. Kaye and I also gave a presentation on plotting short stories at a day-long program given in Decatur, Georgia. Another participant in that program was Debra H. Goldstein. Kaye and Debra remain touchstones I rely upon for writing advice. In addition, they are exceptional cheerleaders when support is needed!

             Debra and I belong to the Chesapeake Chapter of Sisters in Crime. Chesapeake has a solid reputation for its anthologies as well as an incredibly experienced and talented membership. It offers monthly programs that give insight into craft and law enforcement procedure.

             A few years ago, I virtually met the President of the Capitol Crimes Chapter of Sisters in Crime based in Sacramento, California, Sonja Hazzard-Webster. We first connected through email and then participated in a virtual meeting held by then Sisters in Crime President Lori Rader-Day. Sonja’s enthusiasm was contagious. We talked about a joint program with Capitol Crimes and the Palmetto Chapter, based in Columbia, S.C. Sadly, Sonja passed away suddenly on June 15, 2020, but the idea of a joint program lived on through the Capitol Crimes presidencies of Penny Manson and Sarah Bresniker and the Palmetto Chapter presidency of Carla Damron and became a reality. Our Killer Workshop, offering both in-person (in California) and virtual options, with Gregg Hurwitz as the keynote, was held on May 14, 2022.

             Since that experience, I’ve continued to be a member of the Capitol Crimes Chapter and am delighted to have been elected to its board. For years, we’ve teased about how we only know each other through our phone and computer screens. But, this year, a few of us attended Killer Nashville and were able to spend time together in person. I commend this group for its dedication in offering valuable programs and retreat opportunities. I’ve also learned a lot from them about mystery writing events that take place on the west coast. I hope one day I’ll be able to meet with them in Sacramento.

             What writing organizations do you belong to and why do you recommend being a member?

 

8 comments:

  1. It's fun to watch your networking process, Paula -- a talent I do not have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I have to disagree. I remember your tenure as President of the Guppies, when you wore the boa proudly and accomplished so much. I know you still give back a lot through the courses you teach.

      Delete
  2. I marvel at the reach of your networking and your general interest in people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, thank you. Your work with Sisters in Crime and the Southeast Chapter of Mystery Writers of America has contributed so much to the writing community.

      Delete
  3. Guppies, Sisters in Crime, and Sisters in Crime New England are my touchstones. Thank you for the tip about short story Guppies. I wasn’t aware of that subgroup and would love to join. You are a powerhouse, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kait, please join our Guppies short story group, the Emeralds. It is a great resource. I belonged to Sisters in Crime New England for a while and found it to be a great chapter. It offered so many excellent programs.

      Delete
  4. Interaction with other writers is important. I'm a member of the Chessie Chapter of Sisters in Crime, too. I find the SinC chapter, Guppies (which is pretty much an on-line only chapter, except for meeting others at conferences) an important, supportive resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, you are such a supportive member of the Emeralds, the Guppies short story critique group. Thank you for all you contribute.

      Delete