Friday, September 6, 2024

Believe it or Not, by Lori Roberts Herbst

 I recently finished reading a book (which shall remain nameless) that left me feeling frustrated. It wasn’t the writing, which was good. Nor was it the editing — the book was clean and almost error free. The characters were admittedly a little shallow, but not enough to cause my vexation.

 

So, what had me shaking my head as I turned the last page? It was the inherent unbelievability of several major plot points.

 

Less than a quarter of the way in, an event occurred that I found far-fetched. Okay, I said to myself, maybe it’s just me. After all, I’ve been told on occasion that I can be overly analytical.
I’ve walked out of many a movie mumbling, “It was good, except these three things I couldn’t wrap my mind around…” Knowing this about myself, I sucked it up and kept reading.

 

About halfway through the book, another major “plot twist” defied plausibility. After that, the hits just kept on coming.

 

At this point, you might be wondering why I bothered to finish the book. I attribute it to yet another of my personality quirks. Unlike my friend, author Nicki Huntsman Smith, who argues rather persuasively that life is too short to stick with a bad book, my reading (and movie-going) life is one of full-on commitment. When I start a book, I battle on to the end. For better or for worse, it takes a lot for me to abandon all hope.

 

I should add that I’m perfectly willing to suspend disbelief if a book or movie can convince me a plot point is possible. I love science fiction, for example, and can be sucked into time-space continuums that have no basis in present-day reality. But the circumstances must present as feasible in my earlier mentioned analytical mind. (Here, I must interject my struggles with my own series…how many murders can one small, mountainside village sustain before the remaining residents simply flee for greener pastures? But as someone who enjoyed many episodes of Murder, She Wrote, I simply steel myself and concoct yet another fictional death.)

 

As noted, I can get past scientific incongruities and even numerous homicides occurring in one unfortunate locale, but multiple plot points that make little sense, defy logic, and cause me to roll my eyes — that’s a deal breaker. If I’m spending more time trying to rationalize an event—or two, or three — than I am transported into the story, the book has not succeeded. At least, not for me.

 

Books can be magical and still believable.

 

What about you? As a reader or writer, how important is believability to you?

 

The Callie Cassidy Mystery series is available on Amazon Kindle, Kindle Unlimited, and paperback.

 

***

 

Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado, and the soon-to-be-released Seahorse Bay Mysteries, set in a Texas cruise port town. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 

21 comments:

  1. I feel like I will forgive/go along with a lot. For example, multiple murders in a small town? I don't even blink an eye. But there are times I have hit something and my brain just won't let me accept it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. I really WANT to accept the plot twists and character quirks, and I usually can!

      Delete
  2. It took me a long time to convince myself that it was okay to stop reading something that wasn't my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you do it? Maybe you should start a support group for those of it who haven't mastered that yet...

      Delete
  3. I rarely stick with a book full of "howlers," those glorious improbable plot points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep hoping it'll get better...

      Delete
  4. I also subscribe to the life-is-too-short-to-read-crap camp. I'm willing to swallow a lot, but poor writing and deus ex machima are two of the things that have me setting that story aside for something better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dues ex machina...one of my pet peeves!

      Delete
  5. I'm with Jim. At my age, life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm becoming more and more convinced...

      Delete
  6. I do stop reading if a book is too implausible. There's a lot on my TBR list, and I don't like to waste time on something I don't enjoy. Speculative fiction appeals to me, as long as the elements fit into the invented (if totally fictional) scheme of things.
    What sends me wanting to toss a book against a wall is a "too dumb to live" heroine (seems like it's always a heroine) who misses obvious things in front of her, never comes to obvious conclusions, and does totally stupid things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about the TDTL heroines...ugh!

      Delete
  7. Like you I read to the end and groan, but sometimes suspending belief works for me in the end ( Harry Potter, and several books I won’t name).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? That's the thing. I am overly optimistic, I guess, and always hoping for an outcome that pulls it all together.

      Delete
  8. I'm getting better at giving up, but I confess to staying too long at the party. It's typos that get me, too many and I'm outta here, especially if I have to figure out what the author was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. If I have to read more than a couple of sentences several times, I find it frustrating.

      Delete
  9. First, I gave up on plowing through books I wasn't enjoying long ago. I'm in the life-is-too-short stage of existence. However, if the writing is good and the story entertaining, I'm often gullible enough to buy into the implausible plot twists. Bottom line: entertain or intrigue me, and I'll follow you anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent motto, Annette! I'm going to try to embrace that one myself.

      Delete
  10. If I get bored with a book or find my stress levels going up as I read it, I will scan through it just to get an idea of what happens next and then read the last chapter. That way, I haven’t totally abandoned the book, but it gets me through to the end fast.

    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many really good books out there and way too little time left.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Believability is really important for me. It was best exemplified when I was a tween and read my first Stephen King collection of short stories. Talk about making the unbelievable believable! I also recall taking a writing class in college and the professor said one of my scenes wasn't believable. I told her that it had actually happened to someone I knew. She said, "It might be true, but it must still be believable." Truth is stranger than fiction, and I tried never to forget it!

    ReplyDelete