Thursday, September 5, 2024

You Can Go Home Again by Susan Van Kirk

 

It never fails. Whenever I finish a book, go through the publishing process, and launch it, I take time off from my writing to recharge my batteries and consider my next writing project. This can be a good thing because it gives me time to think about the new plot, but it can be a bad thing because I put off writing. This is the only place in my life where I find myself procrastinating. Then, of course, I say to myself, “Really? Can I really do this again?” I plan and plan and plan. Finally, I get myself in the chair and start writing after way too much planning.

Right now, I’m at a transitional stage with my writing. I spent the last four years leaving my town of Endurance while writing a trilogy of mysteries about an art center. I loved those art center characters, especially Jill and Angie. The characters in the two series are quite different from each other. The settings are similar since I write about the small-town Midwest. [Reminder to self: Do a word find to make sure you don’t write “Apple Grove” instead of “Endurance.”] The art center books helped me continue to learn about the craft of writing mysteries, and now I’m going backwards to continue the first mystery series about the town of Endurance that I wrote starting in 2012.



The four novels and one novella in the Endurance Mysteries have been in the rearview mirror for a while now, so I’m once again catching up with Grace Kimball, Jeff Maitlin, and TJ Sweeney. I’ve been reading the whole series, so my mind will once again be in that small town with my Endurance characters. No, not Apple Grove. Endurance.

It’s like going home to think about Grace Kimball again. Lots of things have changed in her life. She married Jeff Maitlin after The Witch’s Child, and she left the home she shared with her first husband, Roger. My thoughts about the upcoming book will place her in the past with Roger and in the present with Jeff. My readers never knew Roger except through Grace’s descriptions of him. Their marriage was brief because of his unexpected death. Into her life will come a stranger who returns her thoughts to an unsolved mystery that occurred in her neighborhood in 1984.

In the present day, the gang will all be there. Lettie Kimball and Del Novak are married and are living in the carriage house next to the Lockwood mansion. Detective TJ Sweeney is still loving her good-looking boyfriends but leaving them in the dust. Jeff Maitlin is facing serious threats to his job at the Endurance Register. Hmm. Can I do this again? I think I can…I think I can…

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for your vote of confidence, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've proven to yourself (and everyone else, who don't matter nearly so much) that you can do this, and despite your doubts, each time should get just a tad easier. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Kathleen, I wish it got easier. But thanks for your vote of confidence.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your procrastination birthed a plot. From here, you’ll sail through the writing. Interesting how the mind keeps working subconsciously even when you are procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Debra. In fact, my mind spends too much time on my writing when I'm writing!

      Delete
  4. I KNOW you can, Susan. And I can't wait to read what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to revisit these characters and settings. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you can. Yes, you can. Yes, you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha. I know I have a fellow sufferer in you, Molly!

      Delete
  7. Of course you can! I completely understand. When I returned to the Hayden Kent mysteries, it was like connecting with old friends. Very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that, Kait. I look forward in following Hayden again too.

      Delete
  8. Of course you can, of course you can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll get there. I'm kind of where you are now. It will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to know I'm not the only one suffering, Anne. Good luck to both of us!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yup. And that's the thing....I plan and plan and plan.

      Delete
  11. Going home again is something I"m very familiar with. I've done it both lliterally and figuratively. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. It is great to know so many other people have confidence in me (-:

      Delete
  12. Susan, I love the way you describe your writing process. It normalizes much of what I experience and whets my appetite for more to come someday when I'm published myself. Best of luck with what looks to be a dual-time extension of your earlier series, ENDURANCE MYSTERIES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Pamela. I hope you have a bright writing future.

      Delete