Thursday, September 19, 2024

Starting a New Series by Marilyn Levinson

Recently, Booked on Murder, the eighth book in my Haunted Library series was released. I knew this would be the final book in the series because now my sleuth's story arc was complete. Carrie Singleton had evolved from a lost, unsettled young woman to become a responsible, involved and established member of her community surrounded by people who loved her. Many readers were sad that I'd ended the series, and I felt a few pangs myself. I would miss writing about Carrie and Dylan and their friends in Clover Ridge, but it was time to move on. I looked forward to embarking on my new adventure.

Ever since I visited San Juan Island in Washington State a few years ago, I've been planning to set my next mystery series on an island. But my island would be smaller and closer to home, peopled with dissenting family members who loved one another but had different plans for the future of the island. And so I created Dickens Island and plonked it down in the middle of the  Long Island Sound between Long Island and Connecticut. Dickens Island is its own small world, yet a ferry connects it to Long Island, and Manhattan is but an hour's drive away.

Starting a new series requires a good deal of preparation. Details must be carefully thought out because setting and characters play important roles throughout the series. I spent a good deal of time creating the island itself--its topography, the layout of streets and important sites, houses and the village. Of most importance is my cast of characters, especially my sleuth and those closest to her. I am lucky that my characters appear to me fully formed. I love exploring their relationships, their secrets and their growth throughout the series.

My sleuth, Delia Dickens, is a divorced woman approaching forty. For the past twelve years she was living and working in Manhattan while her parents raised Connor, her fifteen-year-old son, on the island. Now Delia is back on the island again, living with Connor in the Victorian home her grandmother has left her. Her father has asked Delia to revitalize the Dickens General Store the family owns as he tries to stall every update she proposes. 

Delia's Uncle Brad, her father's brother, also has difficulty making changes to the island. As president of the town council, he has balked at establishing a ferry line to Connecticut and creating new housing. This infuriates his wife Reenie, the island's manager. She is tired of Brad shooting down all her suggestions to bring in more residents and attractions to the island. What's more, Reenie is convinced that Brad's having an affair with Missy, a new addition to the council. And when Missy's found murdered, Delia finds herself obliged to prove that neither her aunt nor her uncle is the killer.

Aside from the murders, there are many elements that go into creating a cozy series. When Delia comes home from the general store, the pile of rags she sees on the porch turns out to be a snoozing bearded collie that followed her son home. Where did the dog come from? The mystery is easily solved, and the dog, renamed Riley, remains with Delia and Connor.

 A secret room, the ghost of Delia's grandmother, a hidden journal, a pirate's treasure, a date with the man who broke Delia's heart twenty years earlier are a few more components of Death on Dickens Island, the first book in the series. Many more will appear in future books as the series continues.

How do you go about planning a new mystery series? What is the first element you create?


14 comments:

  1. For me planning a new series requires hearing a character's voice or one character descriptive sentence in my head. From there, I jump forward with the planning (although I am a pantser by true nature).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plot about a third of the first book then feel I can start writing.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your new series. in planning a new series, the first thing I want to know is what makes the character interesting for me to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Jim. And for me, what's going on in my sleuth's life that's about to change.

      Delete
  3. How satisfying to have completed Carrie's story arc, although I know we will all miss her. Hope the new series works out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. I feel I can always write more stories about Carrie and Dylan, and maybe I will one day. Right now my focus is on Delia Dickens and her life and the many experiences and changes before her.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Marilyn, on starting a new series. It always makes for a lot of work to set everything up and think ahead. I don't envy you that task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. It is a lot of work, but when it's done you have the basis for the rest of the books in your series.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful new series. I look forward to reading the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also at the start of writing a new series. I believe what motivated me was the protagonist woman's desire to change her life in a big way while helping her family, but it seems everybody else has different ideas about that for her. "Change" can be hard and very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, forgot to leave my name. I'm the "Anonymous" comment about starting a new series.

      Delete
  7. Sounds terrific, Marilyn. I love islands. As for pirates and ghosts - yo-ho-ho!

    ReplyDelete