Saturday, May 15, 2021

What We're Reading Now by WWK Authors

 

Four Mums in a Boat

 

 

Four Mums in a Boat was written by the four mums, Jennette Benaddi, Helen Butters, Niki Doeg and Frances Davies who rowed a boat for 3,000 miles as part of the Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Challenge. The women ranged in age from 46 to 52 and collectively had eight children.

 

It was an amazing undertaking by middle-aged women who were not Olympic athletes and who had quite limited experience of rowing at the beginning. They turned a crazy idea into reality within three years. The preparation was as intense as the journey since they had to convince their incredulous husbands, children and other family members, get sponsorship, get into shape for the months-long events and so forth.

 

They wrote about persisting through serious injuries, chronic seasickness, a hurricane, and a few woman-overboard experiences. I say will all respect these are four tough mothers. A very interesting and inspiring book.                                                                                                                                                                                         -Warren Bull

 

 

 

Paige Shelton’s Scottish Bookshop Mystery Series

 


During the past year when travel has been so restricted, I gravitated to books that took me out of my own world and let me enjoy other places. Paige Shelton delivered on that by not only whisking me away to Edinburgh, Scotland, but also setting her series in one of my favorite places, a bookshop—one with a treasure storehouse attached. Fortunately, when I discovered her books, Paige Shelton had already written several in the series, so I was able to go right through them without having to wait for more to be released. The joy of following her main character, American Delaney Nichols, in her adventures is that we get to see Edinburgh through the eyes of someone who has gone to live there and not through the eyes of a tourist. The book is filled with interesting and realistic characters, with each book delving into some aspect of Scottish history in a modern-day setting. One book even focuses on the Loch Ness monster. I listened to the audiobook version of the series and found the narrator did a remarkable job on the various accents. The Scottish Bookshop Mystery Series is a delight, and I highly recommend it.                                                                                                                                                   -Grace Topping

 

5 comments:

  1. I always like it when people I trust review books. It often leads me to new favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the variety of choices by individuals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for topping off my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete