Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Life Imitates Art


Martha Reed is the author of the John and Sarah Jarad Nantucket Mystery series. This is her first post for WWK since joining our staff last year. Welcome, Martha.
E. B. Davis

I grew up in north central Ohio, where the lake effect winters are cruel and the snow gets waist deep. Being more of a lizard lazing on a hot rock type of personality, I spent six months a year buried in books to escape the bone-cracking climate. The grade school librarian became my best friend. I’m dating myself, but she put me to work sorting Dewey Decimal System cards for the catalog and manually revising the date on the return slip rubber time stamp. It was a heavy responsibility for a fifth grader, but I loved it.

On weekends, I created imaginary worlds. I distinctly remember sitting at my mother’s desk and writing a story about captaining a clipper ship. To this day I have no idea why or even how that particular idea generated. Growing up in Middle America, I certainly had no idea of ever living a coastal life.

Life moved on, and I made my choices. Occasionally, when I was forced to do so by random chance, I experienced a burst of creative possibility and imagined an alternate reality or choice, but it never occurred to me to actually use my imagination as a “life changing” tool. I went about imagining all of these life-changing possibilities for my characters, and I never considered using it on myself.

Decades passed, and then - suddenly - I neared retirement age. I’d taken care of the kids, and my parents, and funding my 401(k). What was my next personal plot point going to be?

I knew I wanted to live somewhere warmer; that was a given. I considered North Carolina. Charlotte was trendy and fun, but too small. Charleston, SC was charming, but too expensive. I crossed another state line and toured Savannah, but no. Still not right.

And then my writer’s life offered up an idea. On Day Two of Bouchercon 2018 in St. Petersburg, Florida, I stepped out of the gorgeous Vinoy hotel for a breath of fresh air, since the crime fiction authors were stacked three deep at the bar and the oxygen supply was running low. I stood in the park studying the marina, a salty breeze tickled my ears, and it clicked.

This. This is where I want to live.

My next thought was: ‘I’ll move here when I retire.’ And the little voice inside my head that I’ve been trained to listen to, said: Why wait? If this is what you really want, do it now.

I alternated between hope, wonder, and fear on the ride back to Pittsburgh. I want to do this. Do I dare? I gave the idea a solid week to burn off. You know the drill. Of course I want to move to St. Pete! I had a great time. It’s vacation head. I wasn’t sure I trusted the feeling. I wasn’t sure I trusted myself.

It didn’t burn off. So then, I thought: Okay. How do I do this? How do I uproot my whole life, because I’ve never ever imagined that my Book of Life would have a Florida chapter in it?

And my imagination stepped in. Instead of focusing on why it couldn’t happen, I started to imagine how it could. I needed a job; LinkedIn helped me find one. I needed a place to live; AirBnB offered weekly rental apartments until I got a permanent address. I needed a car. Crown Honda was delighted to lease me one.

For every objection that I raised, for every roadblock I built, my wily imagination found a way to prop the door open, if I was bold enough to step through. On January 7th, I celebrated my one-year anniversary of St. Pete Gulf Coast living. It’s been splendid.

Turnabout is fair play. My imagination is now challenging me to use this new attitude on my writing. Each morning when I sit down to my manuscript, I’m pushing my imagination into deeper and darker possibilities, pursuing my quest for the light, trying to make the story more fearlessly meaningful. I used to work at making things pretty. Now I want to make them true. I love what I see coming up in my editing draft, and I’m hoping my readers will love the new me, too.

What’s the short answer? Sometimes, the only person stopping you, is you.

Do you have a similar tale to tell?

11 comments:

  1. I am inspired. And welcome to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, my friend, you are and always have been an inspiration to me. I'm so glad you found your true home in Florida... but I still miss you like crazy! Our road trips were some of the most fun I've ever had! That drive home from North Carolina (Writer's Police Academy) was epic. And our night as the only two occupants of that possibly haunted B&B will always be one of my favorite memories. (I still wonder why they gave us rooms on different floors when there was only US!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the welcome! I'm thrilled to be a part of WWK. And Annette, I agree. Susan's remark about local handicrafts still makes me laugh. Good times, my friend, with plenty more to come! Save me a seat at the conference bar and order a chocolate martini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to WWK! I've lived all over the country, but new locations were determined by job opportunities, currently, Cincinnati. We also did a stretch in Hudson, just south of the Cleveland snow belt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Margaret - In the past, I followed the job, too. This was the first time I decided on a new location first, and then fit the job to it. It's a different mindset, but it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on taking control of your life and moving to where you want to be!

    I'm afraid it has only recently occurred to me that I might be in control of my life, too. The closest I have come to making a decision like that was when my then-boyfriend (now husband) & I realized that South Chicago was not the place we wanted to raise kids.

    He decided at one point when we were living in rural Michigan that he wanted to move back to Pennsylvania, where he was born, and here we are. It has worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on taking control. This is inspiring on many levels. I've spent my adult life moving from state to state, following my husband's career. I'm still recovering from losing him, but there's no reason I can't make a similar decision one day. Thanks for plowing the way! And good luck with the writing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you love your new home. Welcome to WWK. Give us updates from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was surprised that this occurred to me so late in life. I wonder if the 'retirement' suggestion helped prompt me (versus relocation because of a job). In any case, it definitely opened a door that I didn't know was an option.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to WWK, Martha. I'm also a lizard lazing on a hot rock type but here I am in CT with my snow-loving hubby, whom I've followed through more moves than I can count. At least I get to pick our vacation spots! I fell in love with the Vinoy and St. Pete when I was there, too, and I salute you for making your dream become a reality. Post lots of pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martha, welcome! What a wonderful message to share. I'm sure your future will be bright and sunny, not just from living in a warmer state! Welcome to both the South and Writers Who Kill. I'm glad you've found a home among us (waving from SC).

    ReplyDelete