Sunday, January 26, 2020

Deadline Madness


As I write this, I’m approaching panic mode. My deadline for the next (10th) book is less than two weeks away, and I’m at least two weeks behind schedule. As I wrote the first draft, I was not-so-lovingly calling it “The Book That Won’t End.” Now on the second draft (which should have been completed two weeks ago), I’m calling it “The Book That Won’t Cooperate.” I fix a plot hole in one chapter and two more open up in another.

Then there’s a little matter of the previous next book (9th) coming out next month and the obligatory promotional efforts, all distracting me from the uncooperative one.

And then the Agatha nominations were announced. (Excuse me while I take a moment to happy dance.) Okay, I’m back. What a fabulous distraction! 

I’m as happy for my fellow Writers Who Kill—Grace, Connie, and Kaye—for their nominations as I am about my own. Have you seen the list? Check it out!

Back to the subject of deadline madness and panic mode. I keep asking myself why I chose to write this particular story. It’s too complex. Too many balls are in the air. Too many details to make the murder plot and coverup work. And as I attempt to corral those airborne balls and make sense of the details, I often stop and ask myself, “But why on earth would that character do that?” Sure, it makes the story work, but it makes the character appear stupid. And I don’t want any of my characters to appear stupid.

And that’s where I am with this book.

While I have the word document open on my computer, along with my Scrivener folder, which I use for plotting and keeping track of what happens in which chapter, I have to step away from the electronic files. I have a composition notebook filled with notes (such and such happened on page 92) so I can hopefully keep track of where I need to check for cohesion. I have a legal pad filled with notes about the timeline and lists of possible ways to solve the inconsistencies.

Without having the characters appear stupid.

I use my beloved Pilot G-2 pens in various colors to track different issues. Or scrawl across a page (in red) WHY WOULD HE DO THAT?

Thank goodness for the distractions (I need to go online and look for a dress for the Agatha Banquet and have to do it right now, because—you know—it’s only three months away!) Yes, I’m a little like the dog in the movie Up.

“Squirrel!”



But for now, I must get back to that uncooperative second draft.

Tell me, dear readers, how do you handle the stress of work deadlines?

10 comments:

  1. Annette - mega congratulations, I'm thrilled for your nomination (and for Grace, Kaye and Connie). Need I say I have read the book.

    Deadlines? ARGH!!! For writing deadlines I find that I forget about a full-night's sleep and crank through. That said, deadlines with problem manuscripts are different, the serendipity moments always seem to come when I'm not working on them. During a run, in the shower. That's when the synapses connect and there is an ah ha moment. Oddly enough, I always find I have given myself enough ammunition in the story to come to the conclusion and very little rewriting is required.

    For day job deadlines - I grit my teeth and push through. I try to have my portion of the work done well in advance, with the full knowledge that my attorneys have their ah ha moments requiring significant changes right before we have to file. I think they teach that in law school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deadlines? Lots of frozen pizza and the phone switched off. With a reward at the end of the chocolate and wine variety.

    Congratulations and good luck finding a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the problem "child." I hope that, like often happens with living children, you ultimately realize that the extra frustration and effort were needed because this is an extraordinarily brilliant one, and the results make the work well worth while.

    Congrats on the Agatha nomination! May this be your year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kait, thank you. Speaking of serendipity, I woke this morning, turned on the TV to a rerun of NCIS: New Orleans, and a line of dialogue triggered an a-HA moment about something I need to slip into the story. It doesn't change anything anywhere else in the book, but explains something that might bug some readers about the plot.

    Thanks, Margaret. I'm not even going to try to out-do myself on the dress. I plan to find something simple and timeless that I can maybe wear again. I loved the dress I wore to last year's banquet, but it definitely is not a going-out-to-dinner dress!

    KM, I hope you're right about my problem child. I knew from the first chapter that I was taking on a challenging story. I hope I do it justice. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Annette! So excited for you. Deadlines and process are not meant to go together. Deep yoga stretching along with deep breaths. You’ve got this! Can’t wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Writing I struggle with often turns out to be among my best work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Donnell and Warren.

    Warren, I hope that's the case with me too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd rather not be a deadline's person, but the fact is, I think they make me work and find solutions. Otherwise, I'd dither and be befuddled indefinitely! Good luck, and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm actually with E.B. Davis on this one. I used to teach my high school students that when they had long college papers, they had to set deadlines for each step and stick to them. So that's what I do when it comes to my mysteries.

    However, legal pads and Pilot pens--you and I both use them!

    Congrats on your nomination and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. E.B., very true about deadlines. I could gladly procrastinate or fiddle with each paragraph ad nauseam. The deadline keeps me moving forward. Or at least, trying to.

    Susan, also different colored sticky notes. I forgot to include those!

    Thank you both!

    ReplyDelete