Monday, January 27, 2020

An English Curmudgeon by Nancy L. Eady


As both a writer and voracious reader, I am a fan of the English language. I love its variety, flexibility and changeability. But every so often words and phrases creep into the language or morph into a form that drives me crazy, akin to Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe’s loathing the use of “contact” as a verb.

Phrases that have infiltrated American English that make me cringe when I hear (or even worse, use) them include “at risk,” “actually,” “reach out to” and “it is what it is.” 

“At risk” is a phrase promoted by the 24-hour news media crowd. “Your child is at risk for measles” sounds exponentially more urgent than “one out of 1000 children catch measles each year.”  (None of the children in the United States should catch measles; they should be vaccinated against them.)  If I am told I am at risk for heart disease, flu or just catching a cold, I am more concerned than if I am told that there is a chance that I could develop or catch the same thing.  What the people using that phrase don't mention is that I am also at risk for winning the lottery, flying to the moon and winning the Nobel Peace Prize - but I'm not holding my breath for any of those things to happen soon, either!  And, if you think about it, everyone who has been born as “at risk” of dying sometime.

“Actually” has become an overused meaningless filler word. Most of the time, I hear “actually” in sentences such as “I actually went to the store and bought groceries.”  Well, yes, I assumed you did “actually” go to the store; I didn't think you sent your evil twin instead. I suppose the argument could be made that “actually” is meant to indicate personal presence as opposed to “virtual” which would indicate that a person viewed or did something by computer, but most of the people who use the word interminably are not trying to be that precise. People use “actually” now much in the way we used to say “ummm...” when we didn't know what to say. Perhaps it’s time to stop “actually” doing things, and simply do them.

I started hearing “reach out” from salespeople in high-tech fields first. Legal research engines, website designers, cable providers and other such businesses’ sales representatives started “reaching out” to me to see if I was interested in any of the various products they were selling. Every time I see the phrase in an email, I have this image of a zombie apocalypse with millions of zombies stumbling towards me with their hands “reaching out.” And let’s not overlook the fact that the six words “I’m reaching out to you to…”  can be deleted from most emails without the content or intent of the email suffering in any form. For example, “I’m reaching out to you to see if you are satisfied with your data plan” means the same thing as “Are you satisfied with your data plan?” 

“It is what it is” is the English equivalent of “c’est la vie,” the spoken equivalent of a shrug. The phrase usually pops up after a minutes long discourse on an existing evil, serious problem, or irritating issue about which nothing can be done. It carries a defeatist message, doesn’t it?  If “it is what it is,” it (whatever “it” is) can’t be fixed. I like to solve problems, not let them defeat me.

I am grateful that “reaching out” and “at risk” manage to stay out of my spoken and written vocabulary. I have caught myself using “actually” and “it is what it is.” And even though I am an avid Nero Wolfe fan, I use “contact” as a verb as well as a noun. Even (or especially!) curmudgeons aren’t perfect.

What phrases or words (profanity doesn’t count; that’s a different issue) make you cringe when you hear or read them?  I’d love to know that I’m not the only English curmudgeon out there!


9 comments:

  1. Reaching out drives me crazy, too. I want to slap away the virtual hands and shout, "Don't touch me." Of course the response would be, "Whatever." Or perhaps worse, I would be "disrespecting" the other person.

    English is a living language, but some expressions should be shot on sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Actually" is one of my most hated words too. More often than not, it adds nothing to the sentence. And the first time I encountered the use of "it is what it is" was almost 20 years ago. My reaction was a stunned, "WHAT??? Why are you giving up?" I hate to admit that it's become one of my husband's pet phrases as he realizes he played too hard as a young man and is paying the price now. I even caught myself using it once and about choked!

    "Reaching out" never bothered me...until now. Hmm. I'm wondering if I've unwittingly used it.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Literally drives me crazy when it's misused, which seems to be often.

    I think of "It is what it is" as more closely aligned to the Spanish "Qué será, será," which seems to me to be resigned acceptance rather than “c’est la vie,” which to me signals indifference.

    "Disrespecting," often shortened to "dissing," used to grate on my ear, but I think I worked enough with people who used it frequently that now it seems normal when used in informal language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post! I loathe "reaching out," particularly when it's a car dealer, window replacement dealer, or flipper ready to "make me an offer I can't refuse".

    "It is what it is" only works for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving us the chance to vent. "Unprecedented" drives me nuts. It's a favorite of people who want to make an event seem more important than it is. It's almost always used to describe an event that, yes, has a precedent, which they'd know If only they'd bothered to look it up. Whew! I feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Throw woke, trope, that being said (should be, that said--infrequently) and ok, boomer in the pile. I'll keep actually. It's my 3- year- old grandson's favorite word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cringe when everything is iconic. It's true, every single thing in Austin TX is iconic. Maybe I am, since I used to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband teases me for using “anyway” for transition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Reach out." My retirement program once encouraged me to reach out by telephone to a group of dedicated customer service reps. I prefer to "call."

    "Gifted." I know it's been used for years, is acceptable, is in the dictionary as acceptable, but what's wrong with "gave"?

    ReplyDelete