Tuesday, November 13, 2018

We Lived in a Haunted House


Not our ghost! We adults never saw him or her.
This photo is the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall
taken by Hubert C. Provand in 1936

When we were first married, my husband and I lived in South Chicago, but as my daughters got ready to start school, we realized that this was not the place we wanted to raise our family. He grew up in Philadelphia and me under the flight patterns of Kennedy Airport in New York. We were looking for something different.

We moved to Albion, a small town in south central Michigan. Houses were surprisingly affordable, and after renting for a year, we bought a comfortable three story, four-bedroom house.

We loved our first house. At first, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. We started to do some minor renovations—stripping white paint from a magnificent oak staircase, refinishing a built-in china cabinet.

A few things seemed strange. We are not careful people, and we have a tendency to misplace things. The tendency continues to this day. We are currently looking for a waterproof fishing hat, which my husband wore to walk the dog because he couldn’t find his waterproof baseball cap. We are also missing an emergency flashlight, my husband’s pajamas and a toothbrush, among other items. (Don’t ask me how someone can lose pajamas or a toothbrush. But we have.)

But in this house, more things disappeared than usual. And then reappeared, in places we could have sworn we’d already looked. Often within minutes of expressing frustration at not finding them. “How am I going to get to the doctor appointment if I can’t find the car keys?” They’d show up on the kitchen table. “I really wanted to wear those earrings tonight. What do you suppose I could have done with them?” Suddenly on the side of the bathroom sink.

My younger daughter Laura began talking about the “angels” who visited her nightly after she’d been put to bed. She said they talked to her and sang her lullabies. When they were young, several of my siblings had imaginary friends. I put the “angel” phenomenon down to that, and made a redoubled effort to make sure she had plenty of opportunities to interact with other kids.

She also talked about slipping on that magnificent staircase, and that someone would catch her or scoop her up and carry her downstairs.

We discounted that as a vivid imagination until a babysitter told us that Laura was running toward the stairs one night and her feet flew out from under her. Instead of her falling down the stairs, however, the back of her shirt jerked back as if someone grabbed it and she was lifted up until she got her feet back under her.

The house had a dark basement with a low ceiling. It seemed to me to be an altogether dismal place, but both girls liked to play down there, especially in one corner. We didn’t quite understand it, but we put in some overhead lights and a blackboard, and let them set up their “school” for their dolls and stuffed animals. They said it worked well since the toys would answer questions out loud down there.

When asked why they liked that corner so well, they said it was comfortable and friendly, and that their dolls and animals liked it there. How did they know? “Because they told us.”

My husband began to have vivid nightmares about murdering someone. He’d awake with a start, and see figures shadows moving around the room. Was it from car headlights shining through the curtains? He has never before or since had such nightmares.

I worked in a steel fabrication plant within walking distance, often second or third shift. If I walked home from work late at night or early morning, the drapes covering one window would open as if someone were peering out. At first I put it down to the dog, but often when I got inside the house, he would be sound asleep in another room.

Both he and the cat would sometimes sit and stare at the space by the staircase. Sometimes the dog would go through his brief repertoire of tricks (sit, down, roll over, play dead, speak) seemingly without anyone telling him to do so.

We only lived in the house for a few years. At that time, the area was very depressed economically. Businesses, including the steel fabrication plant where I worked, shut down. Enrollment in the schools plummeted. We decided we needed a more prosperous area in which to raise our family. We were reluctant to leave our lovely, friendly house, but we sold it.

A few years later, someone with whom we’d kept in touch showed us a book, “Haunted Houses in Michigan.”

The book didn’t give addresses, but one of the descriptions sounded like our former home, except that where we found the house to be amusing and comfortable and a bit frustrating, the people who had contacted the paranormal investigators found the occurrences to be scary. We called the person who wrote the book, and sure enough, it was our old house. And the most haunted places in the house were the staircase and one corner of the basement.
Have you ever had unexplained otherworldly experiences?






13 comments:

  1. I checked out your blog in case you were writing about the haunted house I lived in in Portsmouth, RI. Our ghosts were mostly curious and a little playful, doing something harmful once. Yours seem more like guardians. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your dog did tricks for the resident ghost! Proof, I think, that it was a benevolent spirit rather than a malevolent one. Your husband's nightmares were a bit creepy though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky your spirits were the friendly type. I haven’t lived in a haunted house, but I’ve stayed in or visited some places where I sensed something that made me extremely uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than your husband’s nightmares, these ghosts seemed of the friendliest sort. As I get older and clumsier, I might want to hire them for stair-watching duty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kath, I'm glad to hear of other people who lived a place with friendly spirits.

    Annette, that dog (mostly Hungarian puli) was a very humorless dog who took his responsibilities as he saw them seriously. He felt compelled to obey instructions given to him by anyone he considered "family."

    Grace, the house was very comfortable and welcoming!

    Jim, looking back on it, I wonder if the nightmares weren't an attempt on the part of the ghost to get us to look into something. And we were too naïve to "get it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun story, Kathleen! I've had ghostly encounters over the years, the most memorable of which was at The Myrtles plantation in St Francisville, LA. I saw ghostly shapes dancing in the parlor when I tried to focus my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I've never encountered anything supernatural at all, but I did observe some things in my middle child. In the morning, when I'd had a vivid dream, he would start talking about what I'd dreamt. One I recall a frustrating dream of not being able to return the tennis ball over the net. (I was taking tennis lessons at the time.) At breakfast, he said, "Mommy, you shouldn't get so mad about the tennis ball." Once when we were driving past his friend Jeremy's house, he said, "Mommy, Germy's mom is trying to call you." (Germy was his version of Jeremy.) (This was before cell phones.) Out of curiosity, I noted the time on my wristwatch and called her when I got home. Sure enough, she'd been trying to call me at the time we drove past. He completely outgrew all of that and doesn't even believe me now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathleen, when I moved into my house I had feelings that there was someone near me. Before I moved in when my son was in the basement working on putting in new electricity for me as the original had been put in in 1917, he and the guy working with him heard footsteps upstairs. Joe ran up and there was no one there. After I moved in my daughter who worked midnight terms saw at the bottom of the steps the white shape of a person with a black belt around the middle. Another time when she was falling asleep on the living room couch after getting home from her night turn shift she heard a man's voice where the kitchen door used to be before my son moved it. He was talking to someone else saying he didn't have time to help today. Another time she heard a horse galloping through the living room past her. Chick Needler, the former owner who was now dead had a palomino named Pal O'Gold. Sometimes while taking a bath, on the other side of the wall where my library was I heard voices talking not loud enough to hear what they were saying though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Except for the nightmares, it sounds like a friendly haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have shivers! Great post. (Glad that it was mostly amusing. Though the dream part is terrifying!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margaret, I have a friend who says she has seen ghostly figures sometimes when she tries to focus her camera. She says they disappear when she looks up from the camera, but a few times "shadows" have appeared on the pictures she's taken.


    Kaye, there are some things we just can't explain. And like the "angels" that came to talk to my daughter, they seem to be able to reach children, who are probably more receptive.

    Gloria, I wonder if your spirits are still there, or if they have moved on. Sounds like they may still be hanging around.

    Warren, it did feel friendly. Although we didn't think of it as a "haunting" at the time.

    Cynthia, I wish we'd looked into the dreams a bit more, and tried to discover if there had been a murder in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live in a haunted house as well, for the last 35 years. It is an 18 room Victorian built in 1886. There are five ghosts. The main ghost is male (and IMO gay). When I first moved in he would stomp around the hallway and slam the many parlor doors. Why do I think he is gay? When I would rearrange my antique furniture, he would move it back (the house came semi furnished). Needless to say, I have not moved any of my furniture for 35 years! The saddest ghost is a little girl who was the daughter of a tennant farmer who lived down the road. She liked to swing on the porch swing at 'the big house'. She was playing near where her mom was washing clothes over a fire and her dress caught on fire. She died in my driveway. The weirdest ghost is a lady in a white dress carrying a lantern. She has a habit of jumping onto the back of pickup trucks who keep their tailgate down after delivering hay to my barn. She rides it out to the road and then disappears. And yes, many people have seen the last two. Ghosts make for a great security system. When everyone knows your house is haunted, no one thinks about robbing it! My upcoming book "Scent of Death" deals with a woman who helps ghosts find closure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosemarie, what a fascinating life you must have in a house that's so haunted! You and your ghosts must have reached an understanding for you to co-exist for so long.

    ReplyDelete