Friday, October 30, 2015

Selling A House





Selling A House
 by Warren Bull

Our house is now on the market.  Yesterday we signed the final papers for selling it with our realtor.  We dropped off an ugly but useful black metal filing cabinet at a donation center, went to a restaurant we like and ordered lunch. Before the food came we had four calls from realtors wanting to see the house. 

One realtor wanted to come at 12:30.  The time on my watch was 12:31.  Being unable to instantly transport ourselves through time and space, we said we could not manage that. And we were hungry.  That realtor rescheduled for later in the afternoon.  I believe three out of the four people who said they wanted to view the property actually did. 

Much of our stuff is relocated to out of the way nooks and crannies.  If I want to do something like practice singing, I have to 1) remember where what  I need is located 2) dig through the other stuff interposed between what I want and me 3) check the time to see how much longer I have to work on whatever before …4) returning said object to its previous location so I can bail before the next showing. 

Why, you may ask, don’t I put the whatever in a location easier to access? 1) if I start moving things I will have to remember their new location and … 2) the new locations of all the intervening material 3) it is likely that next timeI will want another buried treasure next which, if I also move that whatever to a new location… see 1) 2) and 3) above. 


I would tell you more but right now I have to put my toys away so I can vanish before the next scheduled showing.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with the house-selling process. It only takes one buyer, but it does take one buyer, and I hope yours arrives in the very near future.

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the selling process. Sounds like you have a hot property in a great market. Good news all around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren, good luck with the selling process. It took us almost 18 months to sell our last house, and then we had to come down. I'm pretty sure it was because of the small kitchen. Everything else was very good. Anyway, I have no intention of ever selling my current house. I'll not leave it except on a stretcher or in a casket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it took 18 long months to unload the Atlanta house, during which I wasn't allowed to leave the house without the dog, in case someone dropped by for a viewing without an appointment. I gave my teenage daughter cash to do the shopping, while I stood in the parking lot with the standard poodle...and made lots of friends.

    I hope it goes quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be happy so many people want to see it! I wish we had that problem. We do have some hope, however. We showed it by appointment for the FIRST TIME yesterday (after being on the market for two weeks). The same people asked to come back today. So, there's a glimmer, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Warren. We've moved six times and now we've done a kinda/sorta sabbatical year move. Doesn't get easier. It just feels great when it is over and done! Sounds like you are moving to a great city. I hope your house buying on that end goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck, Warren! I don't envy you the selling and moving, but it's always exciting to learn a new city. We will miss you sorely here in Kansas City.

    ReplyDelete