Friday, November 23, 2012

Making a Literary Life by Carolyn See


Making a Literary Life by Carolyn See





Thanks to Linda Rodriguez for recommending this book to me.

I’ve read some excellent books about writing but this is the one only one I can remember when I laughed out loud.  Many times I recognized my feelings and actions in what Ms. See has felt and done. The author describes not only writing, but also the writing life.  She doesn’t shy away from the experience of getting form rejection notes or from the experience of reading what you have written before and finding it to be utter bilge. She also discusses the amazing feeling of seeing your name in print and selling your work using her experiences as a referent. 

I was impressed that she addressed so much of what being a writer entails. I found her advice to be really helpful for those committed to this crazy business. To be a writer means to produce one thousand words a day or two hours of revision five days a week for the rest of your life.

The chapter titled Geography Time and Space should be required reading for authors.  Not long ago I read in a passage of a book by a major publisher in which the hero threw a grenade through a closed door and afterward kicked the door open.

I would recommend Making a Literary Life to anyone who is serious about writing.

I am off the gird so I cannot respond to comments. I will read them all. Happy Holidays one and all.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation, Warren. I will look up the book. Writers are solitary in their process. It's necessary, but it also isolates. Writers don't know if their experiences are similar or unique. It's easy to lose faith and confidence when often only the wins are posted on writer message boards, but few of the losses are advertised. Ms. See's honesty should be refreshing to read. No one goes into this business knowing all there is to know. It's a learning process. The more we educate ourselves, the better.

    Have a wonderful holiday, Warren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn See's book is a great favorite of mine because it advises you not only to write, but to be part of the writing community by sending notes to authors and going to readings, signings, and other writers' events. Thanks for your great review, Warren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book always sits on my writing desk -- I return to it when I need to be reminded to just keep writing. And Ms. See often makes me laugh out loud too. One of my long time faves -- nice to see it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm putting it on my list of books to get and read, Warren. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added this book to my list, too. Thank you for the recommendation and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete