Saturday, September 16, 2023

When to Say Goodbye, by Lori Roberts Herbst

 A few months back, my husband and I saw a trailer for the newest Indiana Jones movie. We looked at each other, and I knew we were both thinking the same thing: “Maybe it’s time to call this series quits.” (Side note: We’ve since seen the movie and both liked it fairly well. But we’re happy it was the final installment—at least, we hope that’s the case.)

The incident stood out to me, though, because I’ve been wondering a lot about how authors can tell when a series should end. I’m currently working on GRAVEN IMAGES, book 6 in the Callie Cassidy Mystery series, which is taking me quite a bit longer to write than any of the others did. I finally asked myself why.

 

Part of it is external life occurrences—circumstances that draw my attention away from my writing. But could there be more to it? Are Callie and I on the verge of a breakup? Is our time together nearing an end? And if it’s not…should it be? I mean, how many dead bodies can turn up in little Rock Creek Village before the residents all decide to move away? Sigh.

 

I was simultaneously sad and happy that Ted Lasso hung it up after three seasons. I loved the characters and the themes, so much so that it would have hurt to see them diluted. So many TV series seem to clutch onto longevity at the expense of originality, recycling plotlines and getting…well, boring. The same can be true of book series. Some of them begin to feel repetitive and stale after a while. I don’t want that to be Callie’s legacy.

 

On the other hand, there are a number of series that I find riveting even after a dozen or more installments. I’m thinking of Louise Penny’s Three Pines series. Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone books. John Sandford with both his Lucas Davenport and his Virgil Flowers series. 

 

So, how do authors know when it’s time to move on from a series? For the traditionally published, it’s often the publisher’s decision to end the series. But for those indie writers among us, what signals should we be paying attention to?

 

At this point, I’m feeling good about Callie’s sixth appearance. The words are starting to flow, and the plot feels unique and twisty. I can tell it’s going to be a worthy addition to the series. I enjoy Callie. Rock Creek Village has come to feel like a second home, and her friends are my friends, too.

 

But the niggle in my brain keeps asking: is it time to start something new?

 

How do you as readers and writers know when a series should be wrapped up?


***


Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 

5 comments:

  1. It's funny you are asking this today since it was a topic earlier this week on The Wickeds.

    Like you, I can think of long running series that I still love. And there are some I read because I'm stubborn. And some I've given up on. I think it is all the skill of the writer involved and how much work they put into making each book feel the same yet different. I mean, we don't want things to change too much since we love the setting and characters, but we need some growth so things don't get boring.

    Glad to hear this book is picking up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I hate it when I'm reading a series and thinking, I think I may be done with this one. It doesn't happen often, thankfully. I just want to make sure I'm not the author causing that angst!

    And Jim, you're right. I get emails every week asking when my next installment is coming out. My fear is of giving those loyal readers something less than stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question, and I've debated the same thing. With my book #7, my MC discovered so many new things about her life (and past) that it opened up new possibilities. I think that's important. And, like you, my readers constantly asked about when the next one comes out, so...for now, I'll continue. But I also introduced a couple of supporting characters (one starred in book #4) so I have spin-off ops with the series, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain! I’m struggling with the same problem with my Hayden Kent series. Looking forward to comments for some guidance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tough call. Katherine Hall Page wrote some of her Faith Fairchild mysteries from the perspective of her sidekick Pix and maybe some other friends. And she shifted locations for the setting several times.

    You'll know when it's time. Elly Griffiths ended the Ruth Galloway mysteries recently. I was sad when Kathy Hogan Trocheck (aka Mary Kay Andrews) ended her Callahan Garrity series, but it was time. And as Andrews, she shifted from amateur sleuth to terrific women's fiction.

    ReplyDelete