Thursday, September 21, 2023

A Novelist Writes a Short Story by Marilyn Levinson

I just finished writing my short story! You might think this isn't exciting news coming from someone who has written over twenty novels, but believe me, it is. Writing a short story is quite different from writing a novel, and not just because of the difference in length. The plot is singular and more focused and should, I believe, end on a surprising note.

Like many fiction writers, I started out writing short stories. To be honest, they were never very short, which is probably why I ended up becoming a novelist. But I'd never written a mystery short story before! The idea of writing one first came to mind some years ago when I was sitting around the hotel lobby at a Malice conference. Barb Goffman was there, and the subject came around to writing short stories. "Write one," she said. "One day," I said.

The idea must have taken hold a year or two ago because I found myself reading short stories as well as listening to panels and webinars about the craft of writing them. And then, lo and behold, friends who were editing an anthology asked me to write a story. I said I would because I loved the theme. 

Once I got started, I found I couldn't stop writing. This isn't something I experience when I'm writing my novels. My usual routine is I write a sentence, stop to research something that has come up in the plot, and write a few more sentences. Then, before I can move on, I need to check to see what I've written about the character earlier in the manuscript or in a previous book. But writing my short story, I was compelled to continue writing, though I did stop a few times to do research along the way. Even though I hadn't decided how I was going to handle the ending, it all simply came together in a satisfactory way.

Why was this happening?

One major reason I think this may have occurred is when I'm writing a mystery novel, I'm working from the perspective of my sleuth. Of course I know who the murderer(s) is/are, but my sleuth certainly doesn't, and I need to have her account for every clue and piece of information she gathers that lead her to revealing the killer. 

But many short stories, mine included, are written from the murderer's point of view. Perhaps the protagonist doesn't mean to become a murderer, but he or she was wronged or tricked or deceived and the story is about his or her payback. What fun it was to set the scene of my unsuspecting protagonist, then have her take her revenge on those who wronged her! It was freeing to write such a story, which might account for how quickly it was finished.

Since short story writing is a new form for me, I asked my good friend and short story guru, Kaye George, to read it and tell me if it passed muster. She gave it her blessing. Now all I have to do is shorten it and come up with a title.

Have any of you ventured into writing other forms of fiction?


 




21 comments:

  1. Congrats! They are different animals for readers, too. I often have to remind myself of that when I sit down to read a collection of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Marilyn!

    I began as a short story writer, then branched out into novels. They exercise very different writing muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I've published thirty short stories and I find transitioning from stories to novels difficult. I usually take a month and write only shorts, then return to my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep telling myself I'll write short stories again, and it doesn't happen. Maybe someday when the right story needs telling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to experiment.

    Lately I've been writing mystery stories for a podcast project (the print copy of the latest one, Things That Go Jack in the Night, is featured this week in the sidebar of Writers Who Kill.) They are looking for traditional who-dun-it short stories, which is not my usual, but it's been fun.

    I am also investigating graphic novels. Unfortunately, I can't draw, and would need to work with an illustrator. I have talked to several people, but so far have not found a suitable partner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark,
    So true. I find I enjoy reading more short stories these days. They are a different animal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same as Jim. I enjoyed writing my Guppy short story, but I found it surprisingly more challenging than novel writing. Good for you! Can't wait to read it...when and where will we be able to get a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout out and the title! This guru got a very late start today and just got back from an appointment and had a very short morning. I'd much rather write nothing but short stories, but it's good to cover all the bases--that's my thinking. You'll all love Marilyn's piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori,
    Since the original plans were changed, I'm not quite sure who is publishing the anthology now, but I'll let you know when I find out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debra,
    I'm delighted it came together rather easily—this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Kaye. I needed some emotional hand holding to write this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had an unfinished novel hanging around for years. I think I'm really a short story writer. Kaye George is my guru, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marilyn, I'm glad "one day" has come. I'm looking forward to reading the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marilyn, I want to echo Barb: congratulations! I also look forward to reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy,
    I think many writers can and do write both novels and short stories, but always seem to favor one over the other.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Barb. I'll send it to you. Do you remember that conversation? It was a Thursday afternoon, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paula,
    Thank you. Of course I'm always reading about you writing stories. As I said, I think the fact that so many WWK bloggers write them also worked its way into my mind.

    ReplyDelete