Monday, September 11, 2023

Dad Jokes on the Half-Shell

 by Shari Randall



I couldn't help it - I got such a kick out of this riddle I discovered while walking the famed Bluff Walk on Nantucket Island I had to share it. (Answer below.)


In many communities, you'll find colorfully painted rocks left by the roadside, ready to surprise and delight passersby. In shoreline communities you'll find colorfully decorated shells. This Nantucket artist treated us to a chuckle in addition to a rainbow of shells trailside. Was it the work of a neighbor, a scout troop, a local dad/comedian? Who knows, but it was a refreshing bit of local color and whimsy on a hot day.


I didn't turn over all the shells, so I don't know what the answers to these pun-derful jokes might be. Care to guess? You can leave your answer (or your own dad joke) in the comments.

Shari Randall is the author of the Lobster Shack Mystery series and, as Meri Allen, the Ice Cream Shop Mystery series. A native New Englander, she enjoys celebrating the natural beauty and history of her home in her books.

Answer: 



11 comments:

  1. I'm making a note of that joke to share on social media at a future, as yet to be determined, date. You know how much I love a good pun (and they are all good puns).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun - We had some kids in our Madison neighborhood who, during Covid's height, chalked all the sidewalks with similar riddles. You did have to walk in the correct direction -- otherwise it was an answer waiting for the right question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!

    I wonder if there are any off-color ones out there. If so, we might be shell-shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark, I knew you'd appreciate this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim, what nice kids! Covid brought out the best in some people. That's when I started noticing more of this sidewalk kindness and art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi KM - Too funny! Or should I say, too punny?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the little free libraries in our neighborhood includes a bowl of sidewalk chalk with a sign inviting people to leave messages or drawings on the sidewalk. Lots of fun! Thanks for a day brightener, Shari!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! So happy you had a good Nantucket visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Molly, I love that idea! Someday I'd like to have my own little free library, and I'd definitely add sidewalk chalk.

    ReplyDelete