Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Not Our Parents’ Oreo Cookies

 by Paula Gail Benson


When I was growing up, a great snack to have with milk was Oreos, the chocolate wafers with cream filling. Originally produced by Hydrox in 1902, the Nabisco Brand (from East Hanover, N.J.. a division of Kraft Foods) has been the number one cookie sold in America since being introduced in 1912. (See Wikipedia and FoodProcessing.com)

Now, in the grocery stores and online, you can not only get the original version, but also quite a few variations. The varieties have become so expansive that the list has its own Wikipedia entry. You can opt for mini, extra stuffing, thins, gluten free, 100 calorie packs, and a long list of flavors.

I first began my flavor exploration with mint (with the green filling—but I have since discovered that it’s available in peppermint, peppermint bark, mint chocolate chip, mint fudge, gluten free, and mint Oreo ice cream). I moved on to toffee and then found java chip, which lets the coffee drinker combine cookie and beverage in one bite. Other coffee inspired flavors include mocha caramel latte, thins latte, and tiramisu.

Chocolate confetti cake, issued in April of 2022, in honor of Oreo’s 110th birthday, was a limited edition with rainbow sprinkles on the cookies and in the filling. Oreo Wafer Rolls feature a pirouette style cookie. Post has an Oreo O’s cereal. For Halloween, an orange cream edition is available. Variety packs include several flavors in lunch or travel size containers.


Some flavors are found only in specific locations, like Green Tea Oreos in China and Japan or Blueberry Ice Cream and Orange Ice Cream Oreo Cookies that are available in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand. The Dollar General Stores carried Mississippi Mud Pie Oreos, and Target had Candy Corn, Caramel Apple, Cotton Candy, and Blueberry Pie Oreos.

Perhaps most intriguing are the customized Oreos being offered now through https://www.oreo.com/. You begin by selecting a cream (white, orange, or birthday cake), then white or chocolate fudge for the outer coat dip, up to four different colors of rainbow sprinkles, a design or photo, and finally the packaging. Adaptable for personal as well as business gifting.

Have you been exploring the wonderful new world of Oreos? If not, why?






8 comments:

  1. As I remember, I liked the Caramel Coconut and the Maple Creme flavors. Most of them sound better on the box than they turn out to be in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The unanswered question is do you still twist off the top to get at the inside filling first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some smores Oreos! (Still don't compare to Girl Scout cookies, though...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a kid, I remember that some families had Oreos (Nabisco) but the Jewish families had Hydrox (Sunshine) because kosher ones were available but kosher Oreos, although they existed, were harder to find. We preferred Oreo, but never turned down Hydrox. My family never had store-bought cookies, so they were a rare treat from when we were visiting friends.

    One of my cousins, who was a quadriplegic, loved pumpkin spice anything, and we'd scour the grocery store shelves in the fall to get him a supply of pumpkin spice Oreos. (He was less enthused about pumpkin spiced Spam, but we got him some when we could find it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now I'm singing the Reach for Nabisco theme that opened every Sky King! Never a fan of Oreos, don't know why, but Lorna Doones. Oh, I could eat a box right now! Er, I mean have a cookie with my tea...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark, those sound like varieties I would enjoy trying.

    Jim, I'm afraid I just bite.

    Lori, me, too!

    Kathleen, that is fascinating. I'm so glad you told us.

    Kait, I have the same problem. Once the package is open, it's difficult to leave it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious! Brand diversification at its finest. One of my kids adores pumpkin spice Jojo's, the Trader Joes version of Oreos. To each her own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret, I did not know Trader Joe's had a version. I'll have to look this up!

    ReplyDelete