Friday, March 16, 2018

Beware the Assoonas! by Warren Bull

Beware the Assoonas!

Image from thejoural.ie.





It Lies in wait, like a crocodile beneath the murky water’s surface. Patient, motionless, not a single ripple shows.
But it’s there
Ready for that moment of inattention
For the sweet, distracted fantasy
The alluring delusion
That I know is not really real
Oh, but if it were…
It springs, mouth agape
To chomp down with the power as inexorable
As the passage of time
On whatever appendage dangles before it
It pulls me into the water
With roiling furious strength
The death spiral begins
There is no chance of escape
Just like last time
Will I ever learn?
Asssoonas crunches contentedly on the bones of
Time it assassinated.

As soon as….my out-of-town guests leave I will finish that troublesome phrase. Then I’ll be ready to edit the article from the very beginning, remembering to check the reference for that section with the clang.
But the dishes need washing. The sheets need to be changed. That spill on the rug will turn into a stain if I don’t attend to it quickly. What will I have to wear if I don’t pick up my clothing from the drycleaner’s? They close in forty-five minutes. The car is almost out of gas. That’s a disaster waiting to happen. 
After two more hours of frenzied activity, I’m tired. A little nap would do me a world of good. Look how late it is. A nap? No I need a good night’s sleep.
I can start fresh tomorrow.
As soon as I finish breakfast and call the Hendersons back. After I finally make that appointment I’ve been putting off. I really need to check on Jenny before I get too involved in anything else. Who knows how long she will want to talk?
How long has it been since I called Mom? I haven’t done a thing about Randy’s birthday. It’s almost here.
Just a few errands to run and I’ll have free time.

I will write, just as soon as …

7 comments:

  1. I love it when you're silly, Warren. All too true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Warren. That's why we writers need to be self-disciplined and choose a time that we set aside for writing. Myself, I work early in the morning when I'm fresh and before all those chores need doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Warren. You've managed to capture my life so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing this with my taxes. It's time! Thanks for the boost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Warren! Like Kaye, I've been doing that with my taxes and my latest book has been on hold for weeks now. I keep telling myself that tomorrow I'll get that next chapter written and then things come up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Accurate, Warren. The older I get, the slower I go But I'm enjoying it more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me laugh. I remembered my father-in-law returning from a meeting with a round wooden coin.
    What's that? I asked. He showed me. On it was printed "To It."
    To it?
    Yes, he said. It's a round to it. For procrastinators who say, I'll do it when I get around to it.
    Ba dum dum.

    ReplyDelete