Friday, May 19, 2017

Cover Her Face by P D James: A Review by Warren Bull




Cover Her Face by P D James: A Review by Warren Bull

Image from CSPeanut Gallery

First published in 1962, Cover Her Face was the first novel by P.D. James. In this first offering it is possible to see the qualities that made the author so respected and successful.  Often with the first novel of good writers there are elements that show promise of what the author may later achieve. This novel, on the other hand, already demonstrates command of language and genre.
When a woman who has gone through a program for unwed mothers is hired as a servant for an aristocratic family, trouble begins to brew. The woman has a way of identifying and seizing upon other peoples’ weaknesses without calling attention to her actions.  Things come to a head one evening when she announces that the male heir has proposed to her. The next morning she is found inside a locked room strangled to death.


This is the introduction of Detective Chief Inspector Adam Dalgiesh. The author deftly inserts information that leaves the reader wanting more time to spend with the character. The writing is smooth and engrossing. The plot is unpredictable and surprising. On its own without the author’s distinguished later career, this is a very good mystery.

6 comments:

  1. PBS's mystery series introduced me to P D James. I loved these books, but it has been a long while and might need a revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cj Sez: Thanks for pointing me to an intriguing book I hadn't read. Sounds like one I need in my research library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I started reading P.D. James (her later books) only a few years before her death. I would never have thought to go back to her first book. The books I read were outstanding. I had no idea her books started out being good from the get-go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PD James was later embarrassed by her first book, but I've always liked it.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Warren, I love P.D. James' books. I think I've read most of them, and probably that one, too, but I'd have to dig through my books to see if I'd read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warren, I agree. This is an excellent book and the beginning of an iconic series. Thanks for the excellent review.

    ReplyDelete