Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Stereotypes in Mysteries by E. B. Davis

In paging through mystery series available on Kindle Unlimited, I ran into the Maggody series by the late Joan Hess. Since all sixteen books were available for free, I decided to reread the series. It was influential in forming my love and affinity to mysteries. I remember reading them out of the library. The first book was published in 1987 and the last in 2017, the year Ms. Hess died.

 

Many of the mystery series I tried to read before the Maggody series seemed dry, dark, and dreary. They were about the unpleasant topic of murder, who did it, how they did it, and how they were caught. Yes—seems obvious, but when I read the Maggody series, the books weren’t confined to those narrow investigative topics. They were about the characters and the development of the backstory. I had never read a mystery series that was actually pleasant, enabling me to identify with the characters, which I now know is the basis of cozy mysteries. In addition, the Maggody series was funny, as I remembered.

 

I started reading from book one. I read the first eleven of the sixteen-book series and stepped back. They weren’t quite as funny as I had remembered. They reminded be a bit of the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross. Both series were set in the South, Arkansas and North Carolina, respectively. The Miss Julia series was published from 1990 to 2021. The last few books of the Miss Julia series, I remembered weren’t quite as fun as the first.


Was it the South? Was it the similar publishing dates—or an era of publishing? I soon realized that perhaps it was both of those similarities, but it was also the use of stereotypes. Ms. Hess and Ms. Ross both used stereotypical characters, like the conniving religious leader out for his own goals, the upright and competing church ladies bent on punitive self-righteousness, mettlesome mothers, disenfranchised single women, dirty and morally corrupt mountain people, and unattractive, overweight people. I don’t mean to be too critical—I did read eleven books before I put the series down, but all the while reading I couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable.

 

Thirty-five years ago, when these books were published, authors often used stereotypes to give readers instant familiarity with the characters. Their use streamlined character development, especially in mysteries, in which the plot and investigation were the priority. Their use was acceptable. But somewhere in the last thirty-five years, stereotypes not only became unfashionable as we were encouraged to develop those odd quirky characters (which oddly enough sometimes also became stereotypical like the gay BFF sidekick), but more so, they became politically incorrect—now more of a faux paux than the trusted familiars they once were. They used to be funny and somehow true. Now, not so much.   

 

How do you feel about stereotyping? Does their use prevent you from enjoying books from yesteryear? Do you double-check your work to prevent the inclusion of stereotypes?

7 comments:

  1. For me, I think it would depend on the stereotype and how much we saw that character. I can usually read stuff in the context of the time. But it does help when it's something I already love. Nostalgia helps me look past some of those issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no issue with stereotypes for minor characters, but have no patience for them when it involves characters with larger roles and unless something else is compelling consider it a reason to move on to another book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stereotypes are a shortcut, which especially useful in short stories when they can convey what many things about characters in very few words. They aren't always offensive. And they don't always involve "people" characters. The snarling pit bull, the decaying buildings of a town well past its prime, the barbeque serving succulent ribs smoked in apple wood, all conjure up images for the reader in very few words. They can contribute to main characters, too. A protagonist who wears a leather jacket with club colors and rides a Harley gives us a much different picture than a bakery owner who makes elegant wedding cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. I had a hard time getting past some of the stereotyping, which surprised me. I'd read these books before and loved them. Although they were secondary characters, Jim, they were important characters who contributed to the plot, so no, they weren't really minor characters. You make good points, Kathleen, and shorts may be the most appropriate place for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog, Elaine. Yes. I do double check my own work looking for stereotypes. I’ve gotten better about it over time, but they still creep in. As for re-reading older books that I enjoyed, not a problem for me. I notice the inclusion, and sometimes shake my head and wonder how characters like that were ever considered all right, but it doesn’t stop me from reading. Instead, I accept it as a glimpse into who we were, and how far we’ve come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "a glimpse into who we were, and how far we’ve come" - well, said Kait. E.B., I've seen this issue when we reading some of my childhood favorite books. Yes sometimes it is pretty cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Kait on this. When I look at the very early books I read, like The Bobbsey Twins, I am appalled. So many statements about "girls can't do this, and girls can't do that." Really blatant stereotypes, but then I must remind myself that it was typical of that time. Like Shari, I'm glad we come a long way, especially with what women can do.

    ReplyDelete